Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
AT&T McAfee Security Suite & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

When I had spyware issues before ... one of the awesome techs in the malware forum had me install the malwarebytes anti-malware software. He said it could co-exist with my McAfee Security Suite. Today I'm chatting with a McAfee rep about something non-virus related and the rep says ... I see you have malwarebytes anti-malware ... you cannot have both because your McAfee will become inactive so remove it now. I trust you folks more than some tech in a McAfee chat room ... I thought the two programs could co-exist because they are different? Is he mistaken? He was mistaken on another thing earlier so I think he may have been a hair clueless.

Thanks!
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
as long as both are not running live protection at the same time, you should not have any problems. I could be wrong but I believe the free version does not have live protection so you should not have anything to worry about. What I mean by live protection is running in the background whenever you computer is on.

Do you still have malwarebyte installed if so, does your mcafee shows active. You should have an icon in you bottom right.

Usually those techs are just reading script on their computer screen, they really do not know. Now if you had two antiviruses installed that is another story.
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM

It's still installed ... it's the free version. McAfee is running. I figured he was just reading a script. Thanks.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

The Malwarebytes people indicate that Malwarebytes can run alongside antivirus softwares without issues, active or the free version. I haven't run into any issues with it in requests.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Can you tell give me the free site you are using plz. I cannot find a free anti virus. When I do and download it ....they say to purchase it. I need free. thanks