Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Angry OE conflict with Mcafee Security suite

Hi

Having had a look around and not knowing where to put this post, I decided here would have to do ! I installed SP2 of Windows XP and am now getting a problem with OE, when running my antivirus suite ( Mcafee security suite 8). This is what I keep getting in the OE fault log :

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Dean', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Username or password is incorrect', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92.

It is some thing to do with the settings on Mcafee but dont know where to change it and there aint an instruction manual !!!

When you go to open OE, you get a small green wondow with : logon - pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk ( as all my email comes from yahoo to OE), you get Username and password already filled in but when you click ok, it ignores it and the window pops up again and again until you get the above fault log.

Any advice on what settings will help me get into OE ??

Thanks

Dean

Old October 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

In Outlook Express go to Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties>Servers. Check if your password and account name are correct.
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Yep

Have got Yahoo and Plus email accounts configured. Cant think what else to do ? Al the details look fine. Put it this way, it works fine without Mcafee security suite installed as I uninstalled it once already just to check my email !
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

Download and install Avg Free or Avast, as much as I don't like free antivirus programs, they run better than Norton or Macafee anyway! Half the problem with todays antivirus programs are the roadblocks they create as software, not their ability to catch and repel virus. Norton and Macaafee are bad software.
Old October 28th, 2005, 05:53 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I think this problem is related to Mcafee security suite.

For 10 days now 95%(but not all) of my incoming email disappers into the ether. Test emails show up on my web based server, but don't make it to Eudora. Stragely, when I close the browser and reopen, the test mails dissapear. Email from external source just doesn't show at all.

This more or less coincides with a Mcafee update.

Have spent hours on the phone with tech support from the provider. All is well with the router and test emails they send show up, then disappear.

I disabled Mcafee, no result.

Am almost in a panic, as we run a small business on these computers. Very techie minded partner is out of the country for three weeks and I have to try to run the business and fix this problem.

Any suggestions?

Daya
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

It does sound as if MacAfee is the problem...it also sounds like disabling it won't do it and I hate to tell anyone to uninstall program to test that thought, especially since in a corporate environment it would cost a fortune to put another one on, and you don't have the luxury of the free pwersonal; AV programs.
Can you read your email using webmail? At least until problem is solved.
What does Macafee say about this?
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

Do you have a Anti-Spam program also running. I recently started using NOD32 and the spam program and NOD32 conflicted as to which one gets access to my internet connection resulting in no internet or e-mail. I got rid of the spam program and kept NOD32 but Nod's tech people are working on a fix.
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Thank you so much for the reply. I've been away for a few days and have just seen it.

Was unable to even read webmail for a week, but have rung the provider support line for several hours and at the moment I can access it. I've been advised to ring Mcafee support as well, and am waiting to take a patience pill before I do.

I did find hundreds of missing emails in Mcafee, so it is definately most of the problem.