Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Cannot play 10 of 13 recovered movie clips - 3 play fine

I am using Windows 10.00.00.4019 with Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

I filmed some movie clips on my camera and saved them to my memory stick, and later deleted them, thinking that I would not need them again. I then realised that I did and so recovered the 13 clips from the memory stick using PC Inspector File Recovery. I now have all 13 clips back but only three will play.

When trying to play the other 10 I get an error message saying:
'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not suport the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.'

Why can some play and others not? I have not done anything different to the three that can play.
I would be greatful for any help!
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I use a codec pack called K-Lite which is free. Search it on google. It has alot of video and sound codecs. Might be worth a try. It is very strange though why you can play some videos from your camera and not others (unless the files are corupt). Have you tried putting them back on the camera and playing them from the camera?
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Home
I think G_Dem means this one or this one.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM

I have already tried playing the files through Media Player Classic, since it seems toplay everything, but it comes up with 'cannot render the file'
I've just downloaded the K-Lite package but hasntmade any difference.
Any other suggestions?
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hi there, was anything else written to the memory stick before you attempted recovery?

Remember that digital files are just a whole bunch of 0s and 1s and if the file recovery process missed even one 1 or 0 then there's a possibility the file will be unusable.
G-Dem's last suggestion would be one that I would try - see if the camera can still play them.
Not knowing what sort of camera you are using, if it has any on-board editing features (crop clips etc) see if you can crop the last 1/2 second off a clip and re-save it and see if that is then readable on the PC.