Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Question Transfer User Account Files to New User Account

I made a boo boo when I set up a new workstation in that I created a user name that was different than the user name that is on the server. Now the server does not recognize the user name whenever he logs into the server. Someone told me to rename the user account then create a new account with the correct user/login name. I did that, now I want to import the files, (Oultlook, Excel, Word, etc...) from the wrong account. Do I have to F.A.S.T. for that or is there another way? If there is a way, please someone take pity on me and give me steps to do it. Thanks!!!!
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Someone told me to rename the user account then create a new account with the correct user/login name.
That was me.
Quote:
I did that, now I want to import the files, (Oultlook, Excel, Word, etc...) from the wrong account.
All the documents that were on the drive will stay on the drive, so I'm guessing you mean the documents in that wrong account's My Documents folder. These can simply be transferred from the old location
C:\Documents and Settings\<wrong user>\My Documents\
to the new one, same path replace <wrong user> with <new user>. Outlook data (emails, contacts etc) can be found in
C:\Documents and Settings\<wrong user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
and if you find you need any other app data from the old user, it can probably be found in
C:\Documents and Settings\<wrong user>\Application Data

Internet Explorer favorites are stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\<wrong user>\Favorites.
These are easy to transfer manually without the use of 3rd party software.

Last edited by oracle128; September 19th, 2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

In XP you can copy user profiles from System Properties
http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_pro...windows_xp.htm