Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:31 PM

User account file transfer??

Hi,
I have given my son his own user account. I would like to transfer his existing Limewire/My doc folders etc from the main admin account, to his new user account. I know I`m stupid, but I can`t work out how to do it!! Can anyone tell me how this is done please!!??
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

An easy way would be to copy & paste using windows explorer.

You can find the user accounts from C:\Documents and Settings\

If you have permission problems then move the data into the shared folder and your son can move it from there.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM

Hi Degsy,
I tried copy/paste through explorer, but ran into all sorts of problems with file identities. But, since you gave me the idea, I copied the entire limewire library, changed the second user share name by one digit, pasted it all into there, and then deleted from the second user, all the files from the first, which he didn`t want. Sounds complicated, but it actually works!!! Now all I have to do is delete all his stuff from my user a/c, and we will be good to go. It seems though that you must change at least one digit of the new `shared` file, or you just copy to your own file again!! The only thing that puzzles me now, is if he is online, if he changes user to the main id, then the connection to internet is broken. This means he can`t be downloading a long file in his name, while I am working in my id. Is this typical of xp pro??