Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM

External Hard Drive Enclosure -- need fan?

Hey all,

A few months ago, I bought a 3.5" external hard drive enclosure from CompUSA. It had an on off switch with an internal fan that also had a switch -- it works just fine (except for some occasional weird fan vibrations)....anyway -- I just bought another one -- it's the same same brand (compusa brand) and it's the only one they sell of their brand. I thought it was the same exact model -- except, when i opened it, it doesn't have a fan. How can this unit function properly? Especially it's on all the time? Or am I wrong, and they don't need a fan?

Thanks,

Matt!
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Some enclosures have fans, some don't. It's not necessary for it function but it does give you a little more piece of mind. Personally I don't understand why they're made without fans at all, but that's just me.