Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Upgrade Dell Dimension 3000 Memory - moved by Jintan-Murf

Hello,

I am considering a memory upgrade for the subject machine and have a few questions as a result of reading the info here: http://www.memorystock.com/memory/De...nsion3000.html

1) Do I need 2 each 1GB cards for optimum performance?
2) Do I need "Dell Certified" cards?
3) Will this speed up my machine significantly?

I am open to all suggestions and advice! Thanks in advance for your help.

Wes
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello wblack,

If the system still has the 256 Mb RAM it came with, any additional RAM would surely speed it up. 256 MB is realistically the minimal XP can work with, and as softwares and new running processes get added, that "minimal" becomes nearly non-functional. Given the slightly higher prices of DDR RAM lately, I would suggest just buying a 1 Gb stick for now. You can just place it as the first stick, and move the existing RAM and place it as the second.

If you check that site you link to, you will see they offer a variety of brand choices, so quite a few can be considered "usable" in a Dell. I find that most major brands will work, given the right type and speeds.

I walked through a purchase on that site you linked to, up until it required logging in, and was not able to verify the shipping costs. Since too many vendors pad the price total this way, I do suggest caution here. If in the US, where I am aware of shipping costs, a stick of RAM should cost no more than a few bucks to send. Perhaps a little more if priority mail.

Having typed all that, I will also move this request to the CTH Hardware forum, where such requests are handled.
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:58 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
That computer takes PC2700 DDR or PC3200 DDR, has 2 slots and each slot can hold 1gb for a total of 2GB.

The memory is non-ecc, unbuffered 184pin DIMM.

What you have to watch out for is "High Density" memory, probably will not work. Particularly on EBAY the seller doesn't know the difference sometimes and though ignorance will sell High Density when the computer requires Low Density.

If you stick with major companies as Jintan indicated they will work.

Crucial
Corsair
Kingston
Super Talent

Are a few.

The Dimension came stock with a Intel Pent 4 processor either running at 2.8 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz or 3.2 Ghz Also a Celeron D processor, so you need to determine which processor you have to determine which memory to get.

Look at the existing memory should be a lable telling you whether its PC2700 or PC3200.

Pentium 4 processor I would match with PC2-2700
Celeron Processor PC2-3200

XP will run very well with 2GB memory. As Jintan indicates may of come with 256MB memory (slow for XP)

You could due to budget get a 512MB stick and a 1GB stick for 1,5 GB which XP will definately run better.

Also if you do not have a video card and using the on-board video (built-in) it is sharing the system memory. When installing more memory you can bump up the video shared memory which you will see a performance boost.

Shop around some good prices still available

EXAMPLE
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks! I am out of commission at home right now.... I am having hardwood floors refinished and have EVERYTHING unhooked.

19 bucks! Wow thats great. I will check everything in my system before I buy. I may have a few more questions; oh, yes it came with 256MB and IT IS SLOW, but works well with no other issues. Thats why I hate NOT to upgrade.

Thanks again, talk to you soon.

Last edited by wblack; August 25th, 2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Murf,

The Dimension came stock with a Intel Pent 4 processor either running at 2.8 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz or 3.2 Ghz Also a Celeron D processor, so you need to determine which processor you have to determine which memory to get. I have the Intel Pent 4 CPU 2.8GHz

Look at the existing memory should be a lable telling you whether its PC2700 or PC3200. I currently have ProMos 256MB DDR-400MHz-CL3 PC3200U-3033-0-A0

Pentium 4 processor I would match with PC2-2700
Celeron Processor PC2-3200 Why do you say match the PC2700 with Pent 4 instead of the PC3200 which is currently installed?

XP will run very well with 2GB memory. As Jintan indicates may of come with 256MB memory (slow for XP)

You could due to budget get a 512MB stick and a 1GB stick for 1,5 GB which XP will definately run better.

Also if you do not have a video card and using the on-board video (built-in) it is sharing the system memory. When installing more memory you can bump up the video shared memory which you will see a performance boost. I have the Intel R Extreme Graphics 2; how do I share memory?

Shop around some good prices still available

EXAMPLE[/QUOTE]

Thanks in advance!
Wes
Old August 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM

My bad: Go with the PC2-3200.

When you fist boot you get into BIOS SETUP, each system is different, the 1st screen tells you how to get in. Hit the "F2" key immediately after the first screen comes up. Once in there, find the menu item where you set how much memory the video uses. You manual will show you in there on page 81.
Old August 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the clarification on the 2700 vs. 3200.

About the graphics card; then what would a typical ratio be 50/50; sharing 50%?
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Once you put in the max memory, I would set the video to the max what every it allows you to set it too probaby 128mb.
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Great! Thanks for your help Murf/Jintan.
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:17 AM

Hey guys.... I just installed two of these:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...EDBLET328ORDER

Man what a difference, wish I would have done that a long time ago! I have been using Google Chrome without incedent for some time now, but something weird is happening since I installed the new cards; GC crashes each time I try to view any web page and ask me to reload the page or go to another one. Is there some setting I have missed? I switched back to IE and everything is working fine except it's really, really fast!! Yippee!
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:53 AM

Good,

If IE is working OK, then its a setting within Google Chrome. Try uninstalling GC and reinstalling it. Obviously save your bookmarks if you have any.

http://www.google.com/support/chrome...y?answer=96816
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM

Murf,

I did uninstall GC and used IE a couple times succesfully; however it too crashed. I have two pics of the blue screen but I don't know how to reduce the size of the file to post?

I also feel sorta dumb asking this.... was I supposed to by a "Set" of two compatible 1G cards or should I be able to install two individual cards and they work properly? I've read where people buy sets and am not sure??
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM

In your case a "SET" is not necessary. Corsair is quality memory, but even though brand new one of the sticks could be bad. What I would do is take one stick out, just leave one in. Run the computer for awhile see if the same thing happens. If it does take that stick out and put the other in, if it runs great then that 1st stick may have a problem.

As for the blue screen. what we need is the erro message i.e. stop code example:

Stop 0x00000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If the blue screen just tells you Windows suffered a serious error blah blah blah.

Just post the error..

Also do this:

Right Click on “My Computer” and goto “Properties”. Then goto the “Advanced” tab and under the headline “Startup and Recovery”, press the “Settings” button. Untick the “Automatically Restart” box and press Ok.

This will enable you to read the error message when it happens.

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM

1st code:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF85344A, 0xB0ABFB7C, 0x00000000)
*** win32k.sys - Adress BF85344A base at BF800000, DateStamp 4de797d3
2nd code:
*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC038c640, 0xC0000102, 0xE3190E08, 0x4A8C2900)

I'll uncheck the “Automatically Restart” box when I get home and check the sticks one at a time.

"Automatically Restart" was already unchecked. BTW, I am runnig in Black Vipers XP x86 (32-bit) SP3 "tweaked" mode.... if you can think of something there?

I am now running one stick in the slot where my original 256mb stick was; no incedent this log-on. (Spoke too soon, crashed right after post. I'm on the second card, same slot. I'll see what happens.) The other slot has never been used either?

Thanks
Wes

Last edited by wblack; September 2nd, 2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: addl comments/addl comments
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM

OK..... wow, just had an error that stated "ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally" that required a restart. Everything got real large as if it were in safe mode or something. Both cards can't be bad, right?

I read something about "Clocking". What is that?