Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM

please Help virus saved to hard drive

ok i had the fake security tool virus, it save viruses to my hard drive it saved them in the part of the hard drive were u restore it, my internet provider is verizon, i used there anti-virus program it found 48 viruses but it couldn't delete them because they were saved in the hard drive restore, how do i acces that part of the hard drive and delete the viruses files saved to it??? i use windowsXP
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The virus has gotten into the restore points. It cannot be cleaned from there so you'll need to turn off System Restore to delete all restore points, then turn it back on.

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to select the "Turn off System Restore" check box.
4. Click Apply.
5. In the box that appears, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore

When it has finished deleting the restore points, click the "Turn Off System Restore" box again to uncheck it and turn System Restore back on, click OK.
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
The virus has gotten into the restore points. It cannot be cleaned from there so you'll need to turn off System Restore to delete all restore points, then turn it back on.

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to select the "Turn off System Restore" check box.
4. Click Apply.
5. In the box that appears, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore

When it has finished deleting the restore points, click the "Turn Off System Restore" box again to uncheck it and turn System Restore back on, click OK.
thanks for the reply, i get what ur saying how to turn of the restore points, but when ur saying after deleting the restore points, turn it back on, but how does it delete restore points, does it do it on its own? how do u do it??
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

If you follow Miz's steps, Windows automatically deletes all Restore Points. You do nothing.

Murray
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM

didn't work

it still shows them there, it says there in the archives. and it says u can delete the files using winzip, how do i do that???
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Did you follow Miz's steps EXACTLY?

If you did, there is nothing there anymore. All your Restore Points have been wiped out until you start System Restore once more.

What website were you on and what did you download to get infected in the first place?

Are you using Limewire or uTorrent or some other P2P program?

Murray
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM

ya i did, i don't know what site i was on i just turned my computer on and it was there, i don't know what of those things i use, the viruses are still in the archives, and there the bytes viruses sorry if thats spelled wrong, i use verizons antivirus program. the computer came with norten installed, i deleted it and download verizon security suite, the funny thing i think the virus lached on to norten program in the archives at least i think, i would have to check if thats posable , is there anyway i cane personally access it and delete the infected files my self
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Are you sure it said there were viruses in the "archive"? Could it have been "quarantine" or maybe "vault"?

Verizon uses a version of McAfee antivirus. Most AV software will put viruses it removed into quarantine, or vault, where they are rendered harmless. They can be left there safely or they can be deleted from there. I'm not sure where WinZip comes into play, though.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM

my computer is extremly slow and not responsive and crashes alot, since this happen i think these viruses are what still causing the problems
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM

yes verizon uses mcafee they do either put them in quarantine or delete them, but it wont do it to these viruses. i go to display results report, it says about them, warning viruses could not be deleted or quarantine bc there saved to the hard drive archives to access and delete the affected file use or access winzip cant' remember wich one it said, and thats basically what it all said, maybe not exactly but in general, i have no idea how to do that
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Since your antivirus is reporting the viruses still present, your computer is having a lot of problems and we're not really getting anywhere here, I recommend you read this thread, then start a new thread in our Malware Removal Forum and let the experts there help you make sure your computer is free of viruses.