Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:55 AM

Question Files Secretly Saved to Hard Drive?

Hi. I originally asked this question at the Cyber Safety board. The support guy who answered suggested that I ask it here too, to find out what kinds of information might be hiding in log files or backup files on the HD; also, if they do tend to get backed up without my knowlegde, how to get rid of them before connecting to the internet. Here goes:

I read an article that says there is a vulnerability in Windows XP SP2 that allows other users around the net to view your files as if anyone and everyone is entitled to file sharing with you. Well, this led me to wonder about other kinds of vulnerabilities, and wanted to know how to combat this.

For example, let's say I had something like my tax return on a removable usb pen drive. Now, mind you, I am only working on it when I am NOT connected to the internet... I remove the pen drive long before I go online. So I am wondering if there is a possibility that copies of the file I was working on had been backed up to my hard drive without my knowledge (you know, the way Word or Excel tend to do if your puter freezes... there is a featurette that "rescues" the stuff you were working on and at least partially restores it after a crash/reboot).

Is there a way that a malicious entity can pull up information in my machine that I thought was unavailable because of it having been deleted or saved to removable media instead of the physical drive? The only thing I know of that can do this is a keystroke logger but I am wondering if there is something other than key logging that can make my info vulnerable.

Also, is there any way to combat a problem like this, such as malware remover, a stronger firewall or somehow deleting all traces of confidential files? I have been using BC Wipe to clean my free space and need feedback about what else can be done. Any software recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

Ms. Ninja
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:16 AM

If you are realy have such sensitive materail you may want to encrypt all your data with a 128-bit (or higher) HDD encryption. There are several programs that do this including windows. (Just be sure you back up your key on some kind of removable media becauce if you ever have to reinstall windows you will NEVER be able to get you data back unless you have that key. A lesson i had to learn the hard way.)

Lots of programs out there like http://www.pcdynamics.com/SafeHouse/ 448-bits enc.
I suggest doing a google search and learn a bit more about the topic.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
generally speaking, if you have software firewall, if you are behind a router, if you have your antivirus updated and continously running, if you behave yourself online and do not do anything stupid like open attachments or strange emails. You should be okay.

when you work on documents and such, a temp file will be created. Where? Who knows? it depends upon the program. Most of the time it will be in your temp folder.

If you want to see how secure your computer is, go to the following for a security test

pcflank

shields up!