Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM

help center opens by itself

Here's a good on for someone.
On an hp laptop ze5470us xp sp2 the windows help and support center will open by its self. Sometimes as many as 258 instances will try to open at one time. If I bring up the task manager, the task manager help window will also open and closing this window also closes the task manager. I have spybot s&d loaded and if it is running the spybot help window will also open. If I exit this help window it will immediately reopen until I close spybot s&d. I have tried system restore to earlier date and it still occurs. This happens with Internet connect or not.
I have Mcafee virus software running and have updated and scanned with nothing found. I had this same problem a while back but it had stopped happening and has been fine for several months then yesterday it started again. Running spybot s&d usually finds one or two problems but have fixed them in the past with no problem.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem or what may be causing it?
If more information is need please let me know.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
To check the easiest thing first...is the F1 key (top row of keys on the keyboard) stuck down or partially down or have something stuck under it? That key does open the Windows Help & Support window.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
To check the easiest thing first...is the F1 key (top row of keys on the keyboard) stuck down or partially down or have something stuck under it? That key does open the Windows Help & Support window.
I do have a suspicion that it may be keyboard related. I had a problem in the past with keys not working an it seemed to be the ribbon cable but it worked fine for several months.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Copy text below & paste into notepad and save as a batch (.bat) file. Run the batch file which should fix your problem. Go to this link first .. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
----------------------------------------
net stop helpsvc
cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
rd packagestore /s /q
rd installedskus /s /q
cd binaries
start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
start /w helpsvc /register
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM

It won't let me type into a notepad for the notepad help window opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1che View Post
Copy text below & paste into notepad and save as a batch (.bat) file. Run the batch file which should fix your problem. Go to this link first .. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
----------------------------------------
net stop helpsvc
cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
rd packagestore /s /q
rd installedskus /s /q
cd binaries
start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
start /w helpsvc /register
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM

Then you'll have to do it the hard way like it says on the link.. Sorry about that>. If this doesn't fix it you may have to do a windows repair if you have a windows cd..

Also in spybot click on the Immunize button and uncheck the two that Lock IE

Last edited by w1che; April 3rd, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Okay, I was able to type all the info in at the command prompt. I will reboot and see what happens.
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:16 AM

the help center has seemed to stop for now but stll get help windowwhen opening the task manager and internet exporer. Also any text help that is available opens.
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Well, I have began to think virus. This thing is crazy. I was running a s&d scan and when it finished the help file page for spybot was open and it would not let me get to the fix problem button. Every time I minimised the help page it would pop back up. I shrunk the help page down to a sliver so it could not cover the spybot page and then it wouldn't let the cursor go to the spybot page. I could move the cursor and it would snap back to the help page even though it was only an inch wide. It would also do this on the task manager and task manager help page.
I updated and ran a virus scan with Mcafee and it showed nothing. Spybot S&D, when I was finally able to get to click the fix button, had only 4 tracking cookies which it deleted.
Any one?
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Just to be sure you don't have Malware/virus run a HiJackthis & post it over in cyber safety..

Download HiJack into it's own folder & run it. You will get a log file.. Post that log file here.. http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25

Get Hijack here... http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:43 AM

thnks wiche, I posted the hj log and got a green light on it. I have a keyboard ordered and will post the results when it arrives.
^5 and thanks again for your assistance.