Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM

changed to firefox, yahoo still opens with IE - why?

I switched my browser to Firefox from Internet Explorer. I put Firefox as default browser. When I open Yahoo, however, it still uses IE to open it. I also read somewhere not to remove IE from programs because it's instrumental somehow in the operation of Windows XP (I can't find it in programs, so I guess Microsoft doesn't want it to be too easy to uninstall anyway). How do I switch Yahoo to Firefox?

I use the following Mozilla Firefox version:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1. Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8. I have Windows XP Pro, SP2, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 1.99 GHz, 1.5GB Ram
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:54 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
what exactly do u mean by "open yahoo"?
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Typically, I use a button on my wireless keyboard. If I click on a desktop favicon for Yahoo, or even go into start>all programs>yahoo, IE still opens up the program, not Firefox. I've also tried opening Firefox and typing yahoo in the url bar and then tried to drag the favicon to create a new desktop icon, but for some reason, I can't drag the favicon with Firefox. (I had the same problem with Opera).
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
you have to change the default browers to firefox....

"When you first start using Firefox, it will ask if you want to make it your default browser. If you click yes, every time you click a link, Firefox will popup automatically instead of IE."

that above should have happened when you first installed it....

here what you can try

open up your IE...go to Tools >> internet option >> programs >> check off "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the deafult broswer" >> apply then ok

close it down and open up firefox and see if the pop up comes up and make sure you select firefox to be your deafult browser

cheers
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM

I had already chosen Firefox as the default. I even went through the steps you provided. When I open up Yahoo, it's still IE.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Force Firefox to make itself the default
If Firefox already thinks that it is default, exit Firefox completely, go to "Start Menu -> Run" and enter this into the text box:

firefox.exe -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

then try again and see if that reslove it...it it doesn't...below i posted a source website where you can read and see if you can try other methods

here is the source where you can read and try other things if you want

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser

good luck