Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:59 AM

Help! Certain Webpages Not Opening In Explorer... Yet opens fine in Firefox.

Hello,

I was hoping one of you could help me with this. The other week I saw TEG's page on making changes in the Services (local) tab to speed up performance. I went through every single item listed and made a few changes. Shortly after I did it, I started to discover certain pages I used to visit in Explorer giving me a completely white blank page instead - at the bottom left it will indicate the page is "Done" so it's not a matter of a slow connection. I have restarted my pc numerous times with these settings back to how I believe they were , but no luck. The pages in question open fine in Firefox. I currently run XP Pro.

Here's the list I made as I was making the settings changes. Forgive the notes in all capitals next to it - I copy/pasted it from a notepad page and were made to indicate the present settings (changes back to how I assumed they were when refering to TEG's guide (http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm) :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services I disabled in "services.msc" run command - extended tab
Alerter/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Background Intelligent transfer/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST
ClipBook Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service /SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
DNS Client Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST
Error Reporting Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST
Fast User Switching Compatibility Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Messenger/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST
Net Logon Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Network DDE Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Network DDE DSDM Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Portable Media Serial Number Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
Telnet Service/ REMAINS DISABLED
Volume Shadow Copy Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL

Services I set to manual in "services.msc" run command - extended tab:

Distributed Link Tracking Client Service/SET BACK TO AUTO TO TEST, NOW ON MANUAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the entire source code I get in these pages that will not open is this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Here are some example pages that will not open (replace "*" with "t":

h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
h**p://www.myspleen.net/index.php
h**p://www.uknova.com/browse.php

My suspicions are that it may be java related from my initial research and that the HTML 4.0 may have something to do with it. That being said, I am a novice at the details here, and would love to get this problem fixed. I would like to add that all the changes I made are set back to how they were as far as I know. I did set some changes back to "automatic" originally after I disabled them only to set them again to manual after consulting TEG's guide for what the defaults were.
Any help on this would be great, thank you.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:22 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If it is only happening on some pages and not all pages then I would suspect security settings as you said they work in Firepox. Windows would not use different services depending on which browser you use.. Have you set them to all DEFAULT???

IE TOOLS | INTERNET OPTIONS | SECURITY, click eack ICON and seet to default.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:34 AM

Re: security settings

I just double checked that and they are all on default with the exception of restricted sites (which as a default is high) which I have set on medium.
Thanks for the lead though, looking forward to any other suggestions!
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:39 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Are you saying for the two different browsers you have the restricted site set, as one being high and the other being medium? If so, that's more then likely your problem.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:50 AM

Re: Security settings

I tested if the pages would open in Explorer with the Security settings in medium low, medium, and high - none of the changes made them open.