Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:12 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
ialmrnt5 display driver
That is a video error, not a memory error.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF85344A, 0xB0ABFB7C, 0x00000000)

Can be caused by memory or can be caused by hard drive or a Trojan.

Do you have the latest Service Pack for XP? SP2 or SP3? Appears if your using Black Vipers XP x86 (32-bit) SP3 "tweaked" mode, then you have SP3.

Run you virus program see if it picks anything up.

So I would reinstall the Video driver first, if that dosen't fix then I would run a memory test on the memory.

I believe it uses a Intel video driver. Drivers HERE Use the recommended one.

memtest86 is the best out there, if it fails any of the test, then send it back.

You can download HERE and either download a ISO image for creating a bootable CD or if you have a floppy drive one for the floopy disk. USER GUIDE is HERE.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Murf,

Yes SP3.

I updated the graphics driver with a couple other recommended things at the Dell site.

I did run a "quick" scan with Malwarebytes and WSE with no hits. I tried to run the WSE full scan twice however and it stoppoed running on me. Not sure what that was about.

I downloaded memtest86 zip file..... for the life of me I cannot get it to a CD to run it. I'm not so good with any abnormal "burning". I am using Windows Media Player and cannot get the files zipped or unzipped into the program to "create from image" as the site states. I would still like to run it out of curiosity; but my machine is doing fine (crossing fingers).

When you get a second could you give me directions in layman's terms how to get memtest86 to a CD? I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help so far; the driver update seems to have fixed it!! It's incredibly fast compared to the 256MB card that I've run for 6 or 7 years.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM

No more crashes then the video driver was the cause. It often does that.

If you unzip the files on your hard drive by right clicking and extract. Then go to the folder that has the unzipped file, it will be called:

Memtest86_4.0a.iso

Insert a recordable CD, DVD, Disc into your disc burner.
  1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.
  2. In Windows Explorer, find the disc image file (Memtest86_4.0a.iso) , and then double-click it.
  3. If you have more than one disc burner, from the Disc burner list in Windows Disc Image Burner, click the burner that you want to use.
  4. (Optional) If you want to verify that the disc image was burned correctly to the disc, select the Verify disc after burning check box.
    If the integrity of disc image file is critical (for example, the disc image file contains a firmware update), you should select this check box.
  5. Click Burn to burn the disc.
Or There is a very simple FREE program to burn them

HERE
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Murf,

I have convinced myself there is some setting wrong or something else; it doesn't seem to be the memeory cards. I keep getting these random blue screen stop codes for no apparent reason:

STOP: 0x0000008E
0x0000001A
0x0000004E
0x00000019
0x00000050

I never could get memtest86 to run; when I "double-click" on the .iso file it opens in WinRAR and I'm not sure what you mean "from the disc burner"? I may not have the proper burn tool? I downloaded the free one you suggested, but couldn't make it work. Sorry, I'm just not too familiar with the "image burn" process. But I was able to run Dell Diagnostics from "Boot Utility Partition" without any indicated errors. This is the few times I have been able to get this far without a random shut-down. Any ideas??

Maybe I should add; since I am at a lost for ideas. Before I installed the new cards I blew out the inside of my machine with a compressed duster. I can't imagine that may have done anything but I am thinking of everything now.

Another thing; I adjusted the AGP Apature to 256MB when you suggested earlier I share memory with the video card, thought maybe that was the issue, I'm now back down to the lowest setting, 32MB I think.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by wblack; September 5th, 2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: clarity
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Try this one, it will work in Windows xp, not as good as memorytest but may give an indication of the memory.

HERE

Alos did you:
Right Click on “My Computer” and goto “Properties”. Then goto the “Advanced” tab and under the headline “Startup and Recovery”, press the “Settings” button. Untick the “Automatically Restart” box and press Ok.

This will enable you to read the error message when it happens.

So you can post the complete error message.
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Yes it was already unchecked. How do I capture the screen to post?
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM

You need to write it down or use a digital camera and take a picture. What e need to know is only the complete error code.

Example:

Stop 0x00000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:22 AM

Roger that. I ran RegCleanPro; it detected 1954 errors across all four categories?? What the heck?

When I selected to "fix all" it ask me to pay. I'll post acouple camera photos from last week while I am able to log on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0143.jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0145.jpg (94.9 KB, 3 views)
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:45 AM

I am not convinced that you got two good sticks of memory. The stop errors you are getting somewhat point to bad memory. We need to rule that out.

The errors posted , you getting the same ones today?

By the way a lot of those software manufactures lure you into buying there products that way.

Ok lets get you burning software:

Go HERE and down the file it will be a *.exe file remember where you saved it.

Now double click on it and follow the on-screen directions to install the software.

Now that will be installed, easy.

Now find the memtest86 file you downloaded, remember where it is?

1. Now insert a blank cd or dvd into your drive
2. Open the Free Easy CD/DVD Burner Program, should of left a shortcut on the desktop, or its in Start | Programs.
3. Click on the Copy/ CD/DVD button on the tool bar at the top of the program window
4. Under the Action menu on the left, click the Burn an Image file link
5. When the Select the image file that you want to burn window opens, locate and select the ISO file -memtest86 and then click Open.
6. A dialog box will appear asking "Do you want to burn [your chosen ISO file]?".
Click OK to confirm.
7. When the burning is complete, the CD or DVD will automatically eject from the drive. You can remove the disc and close Free Easy CD DVD Burner.

You just burnt your first ISO file - congratulations

Now put the cd/dvd back in and reboot the computer, it should boot from it and run the memtest, it can take some time, but if anything fails it will tell you.

Now if it doesn't boot from the CD/DVD, then you have to get into BIOS SETUP (1st screen tells you how) and find where you can set the CD as the FIRST BOOT DEVICE, then save and exit.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Now that was easy!! LOL Got it Murf. I will run it as I leave this morning for work. Here is the latest error: Thanks for being patient!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0146.jpg (98.8 KB, 1 views)
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:20 AM

Murf,

MEMTEST86 has been running for 14 hours. Does it restart itself and continue to run or does it normally take this long? I appear to have many errors if I'm understanding the data correctly. Will MEMTEST provide a data log upon completion. Thanks in advance!
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:40 AM

If the errors are in RED then yes one of the sticks is bad. If it has already shown errors then you can stop it, as it makes many passes.

If the program detects any memory errors it will report them in the “ERRORS” and/or “ECC ERR” section of the program located on the right hand side of the screen.

I don't how to make a log, if it has that capability. What you need to do now is take one stick out and run it. As soon as it finds errors then stop it, take that stick out and put the other one in. Generally if the memory is bad it will pick up errors in the very 1-3 passes, so you don't have to run all the passes. If only one stick is bad, I would contact them and tell them you have been getting BSOD and ran memtest86 and it failed. They should replace it.

If you bought from the link earlier posted, then CompUSA was bought out by Tiger Direct. Tiger Dirct is a very reputable company. Get a RMA you may have to pay postage back.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Good deal. I will keep you posted! Thanks agian for your patience and help.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM

Murf,

memtest86 confirmed one bad card. So now I'm running the 1GB first and the 256GB as the second until I return the bad one.

Man what a relief!! You guys are great!!!
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:54 AM

Great, hopefully Tiger Direct will cooperate.