Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:18 AM

Unhappy LG DVD Drive Please Help Doesnt recognise disks

I bought and installed LG GSA-4163B HL-DT-ST DVDRAM drive after hearing rave reviews about it. However mine seems to have issues.

Firstly if i put a disk in the drive it doesnt recognise that i have taken out the old one and put a new one in, doesnt matter what kind of disk it does it to them all. The only way i can get the new disk to read is my restarting my computer which is becoming a real pain.

Also sometimes when i insert a blank dvd-r it says it is a cd-r, which it isnt.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have two drives installed, the LG DVDRAM(master) and a CD-RW drive(slave). Both drives are having the same problem recognising disks.

Please help, this is driving me insane.
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Are these jumpered correctly? Shown correctly in the bios and My Computer?
What software are you using to find them because a really new drive may not be recognized by an older program without an update to the software.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:16 AM

Im not sure how to check the drives in the bios. Do u know any tutorials or something where i could learn? I am just using My Computer to open the disks. It works fine when i first boot up but then if put a different disk in it gets confused and wont recognise anything, i can hear it trying but it doesnt seem to find a disk. If i use another program to open the disk it says either drive busy or please insert disk into drive.

By jumpered do u mean connected? I installed them myself and as far as i can tell they seem to be set up fine. I have checked master/slave options, the dvdrom drive is the master and the cdrom is the slave.

The drive didnt come with a driver disk, i read somewhere that LG doesnt do drivers they just use the ones microsoft has developed or something....???
As i am sure you can tell i am new to all this, but i would really like to learn so i would appreciate any help i can get.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockchick49
...I am just using My Computer to open the disks. It works fine when i first boot up but then if put a different disk in it gets confused and wont recognise anything, i can hear it trying but it doesnt seem to find a disk. If i use another program to open the disk it says either drive busy or please insert disk into drive.

By jumpered do u mean connected? I installed them myself and as far as i can tell they seem to be set up fine. I have checked master/slave options, the dvdrom drive is the master and the cdrom is the slave.
jumpers are located on the back of the drive (master, slave, cs)- set jumper to match the position on the IDE cable (end-master, middle- slave, or set both to cs if your mbrd supports cable select).
what software are you using with the cd drive, and, dvd drive?
was the cdrw drive working prior to installing the dvd drive?
try dvd drive w/o cdrw drive.