Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old January 16th, 2002, 08:44 PM

Website design

Hey guys, I have a unique question for anyone that can help. I work for a company that sells and maintains biometric identification equipment. We also contract Preventitive and Remidial manintenance for computer equipment. To the point,, well the VP wants to branch out into other arenas and has tasked me with doing some research on website design for smaller companies. I need to put together an anyalisis on all costs involved. If anyone has ever done anything like this or has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I guess he wants to determine if it will be cost effective or not. Not sure how other providers go about handling clients. Once the site is up, how would you charge for maintenance? ect. All comments welcome
Old January 16th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

There are companies you will host a site and design a few pages for you.

I think Insight-Media provides this service. http://www.insight-media.co.uk/index2.htm
(Click on Packages)
Old January 16th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
Hello,

Are you intending to create the websites yourself and host them ? or have someone else host them ? Or are you looking for someone to design and host the websites for you ?

Hosting costs are directly related to the amount of traffic you expect to be recieving per month. If you believe your site will be popular you should aim to get hosting that will allow you over for example 20Gb per month bandwidth. If you think the site won't be so popular something in the region of 5Gb per month may be more suited to your needs, and thus cheaper.

Bandwidth really adds up, and is the main cost of getting a website hosted, as hard drive space on their servers is cheap.

As for the actual design costs of the website. That depends on :

1) the amount of pages the site will have

2) what backend the site has. Backend meaning would you like the site to be simply a load of simple html pages ? or would you like it to have a database backend ? which would allow the site to be easily updateable. Database backends are especially useful if you want a dynamic site. For example a news site would constantly need to be kept updatable. This would be a huge task without using a database. A database backend also ensures very fast searches of the site.

If you want just static html pages this will be hugely cheaper than having a database designed and created for your site.

If you would like to contact me about this directly webmaster@cybertechhelp.com I've had a lot of hosts and a lot of experience dealing with website creation etc. I might be able to help you.

MishY

[ 16 January 2002: Message edited by: MishY ]