Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:33 PM

Win XP to Win7

I went from XP to Win7. Let the CD do the trick. All works fine except upon boot up I get the boot menue asking me which system to use, either Win 7 or an earlier version. Have to wait 15 seconds for the computer to boot into
Win 7 because the enter key won't work. How do I get it to go directly into Win 7.
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can use easybcd http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ to fix that (free for personal use)

or you can do the following

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_get_rid_...windows_7.html
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Check out that Ask Leo link and note the TimeOut setting of 30. That is the delay value for that selection screen you see. While it says 30, by the time the display appears on the monitor, several seconds has typically slipped by already.

If you change that value to 10, that screen should just pop up for a second or two then move on. Enough time to react to if, if you want to select another option, but quick enough to slip by without taxing your patience if you want to boot normally into Windows. Note that every computer is different so 15 seconds may be better for you, or maybe 7 is better. A little trial and error will sort that out.

I use that setup to offer me Safe Mode each time I boot. Yes, I still have to pay attention and be ready to press a key before the prompt quickly disappears, but if I want to enter Safe Mode, I am paying attention and it is a lot easier than the normal way of banging on F8 to enter Safe Mode and hope and pray your timing is right.

This setting can be changed via msconfig. The downside is you have to reboot each time you change the setting.