Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:01 AM

How Do I Change The Actual Owner Of My PC?

I have been trying to figure something out for a while now and I just cannot find the answer anywhere, nor can I figure it out myself. I want to change the actual owner of my computer. By that, I mean when I right click on My Documents in the start menu, go to properties, and the target is "C:\Documents and Settings\StephanieBryan\My Documents", I want to get rid of the StephanieBryan name and change it to something else. I have went in to the Control Panel and changed the name of the computer there. I loaded regedit.exe and edited the registry to change that name in the Windows registry. After doing both of those, the StephanieBryan name still exists in all file names, and shows up other places as well. Is there any way to actually change this? I don't want to have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything, so if that's the only option I guess I'm out of luck. But if someone out there knows something that I don't, I'd appreciate it greatly! Thanks in advance!
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

Try this link for change the user account name.
http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2...in-windows-xp/

or you can a new user account.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Once your user account is created, you are not stuck with the same name forever. Windows XP does allow you to change the name of your user account. For example, if your user account name has been JDoe for the past year, you can rename the account to JohnD without having to delete and recreate the account.

To rename a user account in Windows XP:

1. Click the Start button.
2. Click the Control Panel.
3. Double click the User Accounts applet.
4. Under the heading “Or pick an account to change,” click your user account name.
5. Click the Change my name option.
6. Type in a new account name and click the Change Name button.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM

The username of the User Account in control panel is just Bryan. However, in the file names and when it shows up online, on the Xbox 360, etc.. it still shows it as being registered to StephanieBryan. That's the name that I typed in when I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP back in 2006, during the actual installation and setup of Windows XP. I have changed everything else, I just cannot physically figure out how to change that name so that the files read "C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\My Documents" instead of "C:\Documents and Settings\StephanieBryan\My Documents", for example. I have also changed the registered owner in "regedit" at the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" location.
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Because the user profile folders (C:\Documents and
Settings\Username)_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been, your best course of action would be to log on using
the built-in Administrator account, create a new user account, with
The username desired. You can then delete the old user account.

How to create account.. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;279783

How to copy user info over to new account.. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811151

You may have to retake ownership of the old account to delete it.. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811151
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Ah, okay. Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it.