Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM

Can't Change Computer Name/Owner

I have installed a fresh windows XP Pro and accidently mispelled the name in the initial set up. I know this seems trivial but it bothers me every time I open the documents and settings folder to fnd my name mispelled. I have tried to just rename the folder but because it is a system folder I am not allowed. I then tried to change the registry both as user and in safe mode as administrator. After correcting the name in every found entry I only managed to add another modified folder next to the original. It only complicated the situation and made matters worse. I have done a system restore, brought everything else up to standards but am stuck with the same dilema. Does anyone know if there is a fix without having to completely reinstall? Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If the problem is mis-naming the user account, as you've found, changing the account name in Control Panel>User Accounts is only cosmetic, everything (folders, files, etc.) will still use the original account name.

The cure is to set up a new user account (Control Panel>User Accounts) with the correctly spelled name and administrative privileges, then copy everything over from the other, misspelled user account.

Instructions on how to do that are in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

I suggest you leave the misspelled account in place for several days. Then, once you're sure you have everything you want copied over, go ahead and delete the misspelled account.

If the problem is that the computer owner's name is wrong, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows XP.
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Misspelled

Can you believe I misspelled "misspelled"!

Thank you for your prompt reply. What I needed was to change c/documents and settings/misspelled folder name. When I opened regedit I did indeed set the registry straight in almost every respect except for that one paticular folder. I think I can live with that...it sure beats a whole new install! Once again...Thanks