Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Beep Code Error.

Hey guys. I have recently been having problems with my computer. Im not sure if it's hardware or software. Basically my computer will restart itself to the boot up menu, and just keep restarting. After some time it will just crash and have a beep code that is a high and then low beep (with no pauses in between). If I unplug the power it will shut down. But Once i plug the computer back in (without turning it on) only the lights and fans will come on, but not full power. I press my power button and it comes on full power, but nothing on my screen. Anyways I is an AMD Athlon processor with Phoenix AWARD BIOS. Could this possibly be a heating problem? My computer gives off that hot smell before it usually crashes. Any suggestions would really help. Thank you!
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Hi elewellen welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

Quote:
a beep code that is a high and then low beep (with no pauses in between)...
My computer gives off that hot smell before it usually crashes
The beep is probably the BIOS alarm (like a European ambulance/police alarm). It's telling you something is overheating.

The smell is bad. Computers are not suppose to smell.

If you take the cover off the side you can get your nose right in there and the stinky electrical burn smell will be on the
device that burned. It will be one of two things most likely, the CPU or the power supply.

The power supply is the most likely suspect, it's the boxy looking thing the power cable plugs into. If it stinks, it's gone.