Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Only IE and Messenger Able to Connect

Heys all,

Just this morning something weird started happening to my computer. First my Avira reported that it was unable to update itself as it was unable to connect to the internet. My firefox was still functioning alright. After restarting, My firefox and my Spyware Doctor failed to connect to the internet as well. As of now only my Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger is able to connect to the internet.

I have searched the forums all over and am unable to find a solution to this problem. Hope someone here can help me out.

Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Noone can help me here? Or am I posting in the wrong thread?
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Nope, correct place Kymteo and welcome to CTH btw.

I've been scratching my head on this one and hoping somebody else might have a solution. I vaguely remember a post like this a while back, but again, can;t remember the resolution.

How about posting back the results of an IPCONFIG/ALL typed at the command prompt? (Start>run>cmd and type that command at the prompt).
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Sure. Here it is:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name.............: user-PC
Primary DNS Suffix...:
Media Type............: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled...: No
WINS Proxy Enabled.: No
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:
Description............................: Intel<R> Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Physical Address....................: 00-13-E8-BB-52-69
DHCP Enabled........................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled........: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address............: fe00::7154:a141:f434:138fx16(Preferred)
IPv4 Address.........................: 192.168.0.16(Preferred)
Subnet Mask.........................:255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained......................: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:28:37 AM
Lease Expires.........................: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:28:34 PM
Default Gateway.....................: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server...........................: 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers...........................: 218.186.1.88
NetBIOS over Tcpip..................: Enabled
Have no idea how to copy and paste cmd prompt so I typed it all out... Haha hope I didn't miss anything. There's still some Tunneling Adapter Local Area Connection* 6 thing that I did not type out so just let me know if that information is of any use and I will type it out... Thanks for the help...
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Oh well done for perserverance! For future reference - rt click in the command window, click MARK from the drop-down menu, select the text you want to copy by clicking and dragging over it (takes a bit of practice, can be fiddly) and hit enter when happy. You can just right click and PASTE or ctrl-V in most apps.

As for the problem, I'm going to ask another mod, z1p, if he can remember the answer, as I'm pretty sure it was he who showed me a similar fix a long way back.
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Haha nice that'd be cool... Thanks for teaching anyway! Learn something new everyday! =)
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:42 AM

Are you running Vista? My little sisters laptop is having the same problem, I cannot figure it out.... ive tried everything, allowed the connection in windows firewall, disabled just about every security setting, system restored. This has been a problem for months i keep trying to figure it out without any luck. I just dont understand how IE and MSN messenger can connect and nothing else will.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Yea I am currently running vista... Well I have reformatted the come and everything runs as per normal now so I guess that solves the problem... As for how to solve the problem without reformatting I really haven't managed to find the correct solution... Sorry dude...