Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:29 AM

Question Problems with OS Password / LogOn

I tried turning off my computer password, since I am the only one who uses it. But I did something wrong....Windows XP logs on as Administrator, and says I can't log on due to user restrictions. I was able to log on using the name I gave the computer, but how do I disable having to use any passwords, and fix the logon problem with Administrator?

Help!

Thanks very much,

Chip
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
What exactly did you do to turn off your user account password?
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:59 AM

I have the Home edition of XP, SP2.

I went to Control Panel, User Accounts. There is a screen called Select logon and logoff options. Should the box that says Use the Welcome Screen be checked? Is this related to the problem?
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Yes, rechecked that and reboot.

If that solves the problem and you want to fix things so the computer automatically boots into your user account without your having to enter your password:

1. Go to Start>Run
2. Type "control userpasswords2" (without the quote), click OK
3. In the window that opens, uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password....," click OK
4. In the window that opens, type your user account name and password...make sure there are no typos, click OK
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM

I did do all of that, unchecked the box for passwords, even booted into safe mode. Now when I log on, the sign-on screen still shows Administrator, and says I can't log on because of user restrictions. So, I put in the computer name I created. But how do I fix this whole thing so I can just boot up without a password or user name?

Thanks again for any help.
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Control Panel.
Double-click User Accounts.
Click Change the way users log on or off.
Clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
Note If you turn off the Welcome logon screen, you also turn off the Fast User Switching option.

Are you setup that way?
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Tried that, still getting administrator error problem.

I don't need Fast User Switching, I'm the only user of this laptop.

Now, when I start my computer, it takes a VERY long time to get to the logon screen. Sometimes the computer gets stuck on the screen that says it is starting up, and I have to turn off the computer manually. Then I get the Administrator longon box and error message. Then when I hit return instead of a password, I get the next screen which shows Chip and I hit return again, and am logged on.

I just want to get the computer back to the way it was, even if I have to put in a password. It is just so hard now to get completely logged onto Windows.
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:52 AM

In Start>Run, control userpasswords2, what accounts are listed? There should be one named Administrator and one with your user name and possibly others. Please post back with the complete list.

When there is only one user account set up (other than the main, usually hidden, Administrator account), XP should boot straight into that one user account. The only time it won't is if the user account is passworded. Then it will stop at the logon screen to wait for the password.

The way to remove a password is to go to Control Panel>User Accounts, double click your user account and then on "Change password."

In the window that displays, you enter the old password, leave the new password field blank, click OK. XP inteprets that blank field as "no password."
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:56 AM

1. Administrator
2. Chris (me)
3. LogMeInRemoteUser

All in the Administrator group.
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Well, I don't know what else to do, I've tried all of the suggestions.

I ran the disk scan, and there were a few errors here and there, but not under Winlogon. Still experiencing the same problems, though.
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:23 PM

My Windows XP laptop stays stuck on the blue screen that says Windows is starting. I tried going into the BIOS and choosing default logon options. But the same thing happens. I am pretty sure it is related to the restriction error I started getting, which shows Administrator in the logon name box. I haven't been able to fix this problem either, even though I have gone to Control Panel and User Accounts and gotten rid of any passwords.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Chip
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:32 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Try all if the fixes on this page. Make sure to go through each step & just maybe one will work. If not all I can see left for you is to do a repair install or a full install of windows.. Good luck..

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:38 AM

I went to the link you gave, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm.

It says: Remove Login Password - Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required). Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

I do not see anything called Local Security Settings, under Administrative Tools. But removing the password is what I'd like to do.
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Problem solved., via:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm
I do appreciate the help from everyone, thanks.