Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM

C:\ Files In Recycle Bin

Yesterday I received a "NTLDR is missing" error message on startup. We fixed it by copying the needed files from an XP boot CD, so now the computer works.

But today I found a bunch of files in the Recycle Bin that have C:\ as their original location. Some are folders that look like they're for Pcsx2, but the rest look like system files, which is what I'm worried about. One of them especially is "ntldr". Could this be what caused the problem in the first place?

The other thing is the mysterious appearance of .sqm files in the C:\ drive. Research indicates that those are Live Messenger log files, but I'm still nervous about deleting them.

Help would be appreciated.
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
First of all you can restore all the items in your Recycle Bin to their original locations...
Double click Recycle Bin and in the left pane, under Recycle Bin Tasks, click "Restore all items".
If you don't need the Live Messenger log files just delete them. Various instant messaging utilities are notorious for being conduits for viruses to enter the computer so if you run an IM utility make sure it is protected with a firewall and an anti-virus program. It might not be a bad idea to run a virus/malware scan right now to make sure you're clean. Files mysteriously showing up in the Recycle Bin is suspicious, especially when they are system files.

Last edited by squirekat; June 17th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I would not restore items - especially system files - from your recycle bin if you have already fixed the problem. That may dump corrupt files back to critical locations - or it may overwrite files that have been updated.

You can leave items in your recycle bin indefinitely. Let them sit and see what happens - but do run through your malware scans.

As for files in other locations that you are unsure of, here's a trick I use often. I simply rename the file (or folder) then run with that for a couple weeks.

For example, I will rename unknownfile.exe to unknownfile.exe-delete-if-okay-6-17-07

If it messes something up, I can see the original file name right there and so can rename it back. If 2 weeks or 2 months down the road, I stumble on that renamed file, I can easily see by the date how long it has been renamed and delete without worries.
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you have a retail XP CD,put it in the CD drive and exit the initial
splash screen.
Go to start/run and type sfc /scannow in the box and click OK.
This will run the system file checker and make sure the system
files are OK.
After it is completed,reboot the computer.
All system files should be verified and you can empty the recycle bin.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I already restored the files though, and the only files it threatened to overwrite were the ones we copied from the boot CD in the first place, so I renamed those.

AVG Free, Ad-aware, and Spybot come up with nothing.