Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM

Need Oblivion Help please

I am having problems getting Oblivion to run... heres my issues (to the best of my ability to describe)

system:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.40GHz
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Sound Card: MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device or C-mediaAC97 Audio device (not sure which)
1 Gig of RAM

updated all the drivers I could...

I installed game, it auto-selected LOW settings, then went into the first movie and the sound and video started skipping...escaped out of that, went to character creation and my mouse lost its control... I mean it would move around and such, but not very well. Sometimes when I clikked it wouldn't register it.

cancelled out of the game. Checked the Oblivion boards , ran the minimm Systems Requirements Lab diag they suggested, and it came back failed due to CPU speed being under the 2.0 minimum (mines 1.8) What's weird about this is I have a 2.4 GHz pent 4 processor. In my startup screen it says "Processor Clock 1.80 Ghz" Is my processor underclocked or something? I dont even know how to check that. I'm too tech unsaavy to go into the bios and fish around. shouldn't my CPU speed be ok since I have a pent 4 2.4?

posted a message on the Oblivion boards, but there are so many problems there are like 10 posts every few seconds.. not many people responded to my post. One suggested that I "Go into bios and correct your FSB (Front Side Bus) setting to whichever your cpu is rated. 400, 533, or 800. " I couldn't really figure out how to do this. Maybe because I have to do a hardware adjustment? or can i do it in BIOS?

I think it might be video card related, saw this link http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5700.html
on supported FX cards and mines not on it... but I also saw posts on the boards with people who got FX5200's to run the game.

I'm more concerned about fixing my CPU speed issue (or at least learning about why my 2.4 pent4 processor is only running at 1.8 GHz speed) first and then addressing the vid card file edits (or maybe just buy a new one)

Any suggestions?
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Also does anyone have suggestions on what type of video card might be the best to upgrade to? How do I determine whether I have a AGP or PCI-e slot?
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM

anyone?
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
We'll keep the CPU clock speed question to your thread in hardware forum.

As for your game problems, it would not be likely to be caused by the lack of CPU clock speed. The GPU (FX5200) will be the issue.

It doesn't come in PCIe so it will be an AGP card.

It is the baby of the FX series. I'd have a better chance running this with my t14600 than your FX5200.

In order to know what to recommend in the way of an upgrade, we need to be sure what sort of AGP cards your motherboard supports.
Use Everest Home edition to identify your hardware fully and let us know what it reports for your motherboard make and model.

Frankly though, if you're aiming to play the latest high spec games like Oblivion, it's time to start thinking about wholesale hardware upgrades.
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM

yes, I've realized the necessity of upgrading my videocard. I was just trying to figure out the clock speed problem because I was surprised to find out my speed was so slow. I'm pretty newbie to intricate computer knowledge, but I'm trying to learn...

heres my mother board stats (nice app that EVEREST...at least I'm further along now that I can find out what I have!)

Motherboard Properties

Motherboard ID 62-1018-001131-00101111-040201-SiS65X$P4S5MG_P4S5MG/GL+ RELEASE 10/18/2002Field Value
Motherboard Name ECS P4S5MG/GL+

Front Side Bus Properties

Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties

Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width 16-bit

Motherboard Manufacturer

Company Name Elitegroup Computer Systems
Product Information http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Product...uID=16&LanID=0
BIOS Download http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloa...x?Categoryid=1

thanks again for any help folks!
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Looking at the manual for that motherboard you have
Expansion Slots
· One AMR slot for a special audio/modem riser card
· One 2x/4xAGP slot for AGP 2.0-compliant interface
· Two 32-bit PCI slots for PCI 2.2-compliant bus interface

The latest AGP cards that this game needs to run smoothly will just not run in that board.

What other 3d games do you play on the PC and how do they perform?

A common problem is "updating all the drivers I could" fails to include one of the most important components - the motherboard AGP chipset driver - it's the 1st one on this page here.
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Having same skipping problem with a customer of mine. We have the FX5200 as well and the FX series imo is the wost crap Nvidia ever put out. We didn't have a better video card in stock so we swaped the board and cpu and got the same thing, so looks like it is the FX video card.

To determin wheter you have a PCI-e slot just open up and look, pci-e is usually a white slot like none other and AGP is a brown slot and they always are at the top with regular pci under them, look at some pictures to get a better idea.
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM

yup...unfortunately I need a whole new system to play Oblivion