Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Hard Drive Enclosure Problem

I believe this is the right forum, if not, I apologize

My old laptop had a motherboard problem and I am trying to take the hard drive from my old computer and bring those files to my new computer. I bought a hard drive enclosure and was told I would be able to do it using this.

This is the old hard drive:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...04-0-R&cat=HDD

This is the hard drive enclosure I bought:
http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/266

This is the computer I am trying to put the old files on:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...&lang=en&cc=us

I'm not savvy enough to understand how to properly hook this up. Can anyone please help?

The current laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thank you
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

You ned to install the drive into the HD enclosure, then plug the usb cable from the external drive into a usb port, windows XP/Vista should pick it up on its own when you boot. Read the manual that came with the drive enclosure for step by step instuctions for installing and connecting the drive.
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM

How do I connect the old hard drive to the enclosure? Thats the part I have trouble with. The manual is way to confusing for me.

Thanks for the help
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
What you have bought is not an enclosure, it is an adapter, but you should be able to use it very easily.
Go back to the link you provided for the Vantec adapter. Open the User's Guide. Take a look at the picture of the 2.5 IDE hard drive and the way they have hooked it up to the adapter. Hook your hard drive up the same way. There's no need to open your computer. Just hook the end of the USB cable to your computer's USB port. The computer you have connected it to should recognize it and you then can click open My Computer, and see the drive listed there. From there you should be able to open it, and see the files that are on the drive.

Last edited by IPR512; September 13th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.