Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:55 PM

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: SAMSUNG HM500JI-(S1)

My hard drive failed on my Samsung laptop and so I replaced it with a new one, installed the original software (recovery disks) and now when I reboot the laptop, I get the following error message. Once I click F1, the laptop works fine. I got this same message with my old drive. Samsung tech support recommended I replace the drive. Do I need to reset anything to make this error go away?

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: SAMSUNG HM500JI-(S1) WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to Continue
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:06 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Recommend downloading and burning the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to CD. It has Hard Drive diagnostics (plus much more). Simply boot your computer from this CD and select the utility you want to run.
Note: If you aren't sure who made the hard drive in your computer, or there isn't one for your specific brand, use Seagate's Seatools as it will work with most any make of drive.
The following instructions may prove helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc: How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:43 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Get into BIOS SETUP, 1st screen tells you how (usually a F key), find where you can disable SMART.

Also as suggested, even though a new drive I would run a diagnostic on it.