Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:30 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation HELP! "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: SAMSUNG MP0302H-(PM)

WARNING: Immediatelly back-up your data and replace
you hard dick drive. A falure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here goes my explanation... My buddy bought a laptop off someone. This laptop(hp Pavilion ze5170) was known to have some problems. The previous owner didn't want the hassle of dealing with it anymore.

SO My buddy brought it to me so I could reformat it. After I reformated the HD the computer rebooted to install XP and the message above showed up. After I pressed F1 the installation of XP continued. The installation had about 19 minutes left when I got the "blue screen of death". It told me that it was a "dump of physical memory".

OK, my my question after all of this, is this... Am I dealing with a bad HD or Memory or both, or am I totally worng and its something else?? ANY and ALL help and suggestions will be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

-DanO
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:35 AM
CTH Subscriber

Bad harddrive. Smart failure message to back up data is a sure sign of harddrive failing.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolady
Bad harddrive. Smart failure message to back up data is a sure sign of harddrive failing.

Ok, thats what I thought, I just wanted to make sure cause Im still new at this stuff. So I guess my next question is this, how do I determine what kind of new hard drive to get for it. What specs do I need to look at to make sure a new HD will be compatable with this particular laptop??

Thanks again for the help.

-DanO
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Any brand laptop drive should fit your laptop. You need a: 2.5" laptop hdd. Any of these should do it:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ubCategory=380
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the help...
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

You're welcome.
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Ok... New question. I replaced the HD on the laptop and that was the ticket! Now I have installed XP, the only problem I don't have the original installation CDs so I don't have any of the drivers for this bad boy. Is there a site where I can download them?? I have looked and I really can't find a place to download them from. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd really apreciate it! Perhaps rescued by photlady again!? Haha... Thanks.

-DanO
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

That's the HP, right? you can get all the drivers you need at HP's website. In fact, I'll go get the link for you. Save time that way.
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

I thought I would but it keeps coming up as an Omnibook instead of a Pavilion.
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Hmm... let me se if I can get there....
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM

Grrrr... doing it for me too! hmm.
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

Maybe they are the same drivers you need. You can download them and see if they install correctly. You'll get a message if they are the wrong ones.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=ob888en
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolady View Post
Maybe they are the same drivers you need. You can download them and see if they install correctly. You'll get a message if they are the wrong ones.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=ob888en

Yup, wrong ones. I was hoping maybe they would work. I guess Im gonna try to keep looking.

-DanO
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I was once reading a review on a dell laptop, and one of the customers ended up deleting the partition that contained the drivers necessary for the computer to be absolutely functional (maybe this is just the case with the dell laptop config though). He said that he was unable to find the drivers on the net as well, so he continued to use the laptop that he had purchased, despite the fact that it was missing some functionality. If that is the case, and the drivers were stored on a partition, and you deleted those partitions (or in your case, got a new HDD), it is likely that you will be unable to get them back. If I were you, I would contact HP and ask if they would be able to support you with the necessary driver disks. But this is probably the worst case scenario, maybe I just think for the worst. But keep it that in mind.
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

The only thing I have ever heard of in a computer as the situation you're discussing breaky, is a compaq of the 99 era where the BIOS was on the harddrive. Never had that problem with any Dell computer. Dell has drivers for most any os, unless it's pre95 and you're trying to use a newer os.

Try www.driverguide.com sign up is free and they may have the drivers you need. You can install Everest from the link below and find what exactly the hardware is, then go to the above website and search for the hardware/driver.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/downloa...t-home-edition