Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Yes, you won't get UAC prompts from Zone Alarm because it's actually using a service which runs constantly in the background which already has the necessary privileges, and that's what's used for launching their executables.

Since Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not install such a service with our free version as it is an on-demand scanner, it will require a UAC prompt.

The alternative for us would be to install a service that starts when Windows boots and always runs in the background even when the scanner is not running, something that we've considered, but I personally do not like and I do not believe that many of our free users would like that either.
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Okay,
That makes sense for Zone Alarm Extreme.

But you would think MicroSquish would of made the User Account Control have an advanced settings,
in which you can assign certain programs access privileges the same way Zone Alarm has them for its Firewall.

Signed:Ensign Tzap
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Yes, that would be convenient. Unfortunately User Account Control isn't designed like a firewall where each application is controlled separately. Instead, Microsoft's implementation is more about protecting privileged access to the system and its settings from any application.

Honestly, once you get used to it after using Windows 7 for a while, it probably won't bother you too much any more. It's just very jarring after having used Windows XP for so long where User Account Control does not exist.

I personally don't feel quite as safe using Windows XP any more because I always wonder what might be executing or happening in the background that I'm unaware of since there's no UAC there to notify me when something is attempting to make changes to my system.

It's your system obviously, and if you wish to change the UAC settings by lowering them or turning it off, that's up to you, but I definitely do not recommend it.