Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Angry Windows Me upgrade to XP problems

I previously posted on this, so bear with me. I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 4 years old that came with Windows Me. I got the upgrade to XP from Dell, installed it a couple of years back and all was good. I then began experiencing various problems and, on advice from our firm computer guy, decided to do a clean install and get a fresh start. Backed up everything, booted from the XP upgrade CD, reformatted the hard drive and off I went. Tried to install SP2, setup error and then crashed. I then was told to do a clean install of Me, then upgrade to XP (as I did before). So I did that. The Me install went fine. However, when the XP upgarde CD was inserted and started, I got the following about 3/4 of the way through:

"The file 'shell.32.dll' was not copied correctly. The file Setup placed on your computer is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD"

The CD is in pristine condition. I got it from Dell.

I continued with installation and then got the following:

"Setup cannot copy the file 'title.wm_' , Ensure that the disk labeled Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is in the drive selected below or provide the location where the file can be found."

I went ahead and completed the installation. All is up and running well except for no sound. Further, having some installation errors with iTunes and Media Player 10.

Finally, when I try to install SP2, I get a setup error- "A component's file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest".

Short of getting a new computer, any suggestions? I'm almost at my wits end.

Thanks
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:15 PM

I was going to try to upgrad this pc running ME, instead, we opted to save the files that were important, because of time. The pc's data was lost, and I had problems at first but finally I was able to use the startup diskette, then fdisk, the drive and format, when XP asked... I chose to use the NTFS, because the ME was using Fat32. XP runs on the New Technology File System. It finally worked, and I was able to do a clean install... of course this is the last resort.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM

I did a clean install, but with the above errors. I guess my question is should I do another clean install of Me, then try the XP upgrade again? I'm concerned with the file "shell.32.dll" and "title.wm_" messgaes that said those files were not copied with the XP installation. I just want the thing back up and running before Christmas.

Thanks