Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:50 AM
CTH Subscriber

Question Internet sometimes drops - router/firewall issue?

Hi all, I've enjoyed the use of my Linksys BEFSR41 ver 3.1 router to connect mine and my sister's computer to the internet. Lately, though, I've run into a problem.

The web connection seems to just "drop" sometimes. I can't hit any webpages at all for a minute or so. Then after that short while, I can hit webpages again. The wierd thing is that my chat programs work just fine. I don't get kicked off an IM when the net connection drops.

I tried disabling my firewall (Zonealarm 5.5.062.011) right when my internet connection drops just to see what happens, and everything would suddenly work again. Could this be an issue with my router working with Zonealarm or Zonealarm itself? I didn't have this problem before I got the router.

I do have the address for the router listed as a "trusted" zone in Zonealarm.

Anyone experienced similar problems? It can be quite annoying since it's happening pretty often now...at least often enough to be noticeable. How should I troubleshoot this?
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Try these settings on the router and see if they help
keepalive enabled
max idle time 60 seconds
MTU 1454

One thing to check is what you are getting for an IP address when this is happening. Also, check if DNS is working when it happens.

The reason your IM might still be working is that it already has a connection, while the web browser is constantly creating new connections. Which why I think it might be related to DNS. What error do you get when this happens?
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hmm, the first two options don't seem to be available on my router. I already tried setting the MTU to 1500. Is that any different than 1454?

How do I properly check if my DNS is working?

When the connection goes down, I simply can't hit any website. I'll either get a get a pop up that says connection time out or that the browser could not find the site, as if the site were actually down when it's not.
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy wolf
Hmm, the first two options don't seem to be available on my router. I already tried setting the MTU to 1500. Is that any different than 1454?

How do I properly check if my DNS is working?

When the connection goes down, I simply can't hit any website. I'll either get a get a pop up that says connection time out or that the browser could not find the site, as if the site were actually down when it's not.
Yes, 1500 is really too high. try lowering it to 1454.

Are you using PPPoE? If so under the PPPoE setup page there are a couple of options. try selecting the 'Keep Alive Option' and set the redial time to 30 secs.
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

I set the MTU down to 1454 like you recommended. Surprisingly, I've had no issues again so far. But I'll wait and see if it does happen again.

In the meantime, I'd still like to check to make sure everything is ok. I'm actually connected to the net using a cable connection (RoadRunner) and the router is set to DHCP.

What's the proper way to check the DNS with that setup?
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
You should be able to see your dns listed ip's from ipconfig. You can of course go into the routers setup page and look under something like "status" that should give you all the lan and wan info so the dns ip's would be there also.
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:11 PM

Glad to hear its going better. One thing I've run across with some cable connections is the outside connections getting water in them and causing problems. If you find the connection working most of the time, but just dropping out for a while sometimes, pay attention to the weather. It took my cable company three visits before they had some check the line from the street to my house. He ended up replacing several connectors and enclosing them in a water tight case.

My dropouts stopped after that. Go figure.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Good call z1p! I had a friend that was having that same issue to the "T". I checked everything even came over with a line tester. After alot of head scratching we went out to his drop and sure thing....full of water. We called the cable company told them and they sent out tech's that built a housing and replaced connectors...whala!
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

I've actually made an appointment to have a technician come in and check my cable wiring. I'll let you all know what happens.