Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Lightbulb Missing Files, Can't Restore Computer using system restore

Hi,
I need some help from anyone that has some expertise in the area of my problem. I am trying to keep from reformatting my hard drive. As a matter of fact I'm running Windows XP Home Edition and I need to order my system disks from HP since I did not receive them when I purchased the computer. I ran a few registry clean up programs and windows clean up programs on my computer and now I can not access any of my office files. It is showing that the file existed but when I click on an individual file it say the file is not accessible. I need to know how can I recover these files. I'm using Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers. I do have the installation disks for office. Upon noticing that my files were unaccessible I tried to restore my computer back to a date when it was working fine and I got a message saying the system restore was not complete, unable to restore my computer back to a previous date. What is wrong with System Restore. I also tried going back in the Programs that I used an clicking on restoring through their back up files created before changes were made by their program but that still did not work. Can someone please help me fix my sick computer and tell me what I need to do to ensure that it does not get this way again?

Thank you so much for your help.

-- Browneyes
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Welcome to CTH browneyes. Which Service Packs have you installed and what is the exact error message when you try to open a file?