Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:34 AM

Exclamation Video Card outlet is "DVI"? I have a "regular" one?

Hi! Perhaps you can help me! I just recently bought a new video card for my Windows based PC. It is an NVIDIA TNT2 M64 32MB AGP DVI/S-VIDEO CARD (link is to the eBay page where I purchased it). Now, I went to hook up my monitor and, to my shock and horror, discovered that, although the S-Video jack looks normal, my monitor will not fit into this so called "DVI" jack. How can I get my monitor to plug into this "DVI" jack? Maybe "DVI" isn't the proper name for it? It looks like this :

oooooooo o|o
oooooooo ---
oooooooo o|o

Something similar to that. But my regular monitor cable looks, well...normal?

Is there a converter or something I could get?

Any help is appreciated!

- Josh
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Ultranothing, love the mini-macro of the DVI port!

Yes, your monitor probably uses the standard VGA signal cable, and fortunately there is a way for you to make this work without spending too much more money. You will need to buy a DVI to VGA adapter. It's really no big deal, about $5-10 after shipping, one end plugs into the DVI port on your card, the other into the data cable from your monitor. Boom, your finished. No addition setup required.

Radioshack's usually carry them, they are rather common so call around your local stores, or go online and order if you'd like. I got mine on eBay to run a second monitor out of the DVI on my card.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, see this link, or just buy this one!

Unless you want to buy a new video card, this is really the only other way to solve this issue.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it appears as though my video card is built into my motherboard? Or something to that effect, and the video card that I purchased (Along with an s-video to rca cable, an IR keyboard and mouse, and everything else I needed to use my TV as a monitor so I could sit on my couch and surf comfortably) does not fit into the slot. GRRRRRRRRRR! But I did manage to find one of those DVI to VGA converters on eBay (go figure) for $4. No good it does me, though.

P.S., I'm the mini-macro master...Check it out

(. )( .)

WHOOO!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

What model motherboard?
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Not sure...I have to open 'er up tonight to install the CDRW, so I'll find out and repost. Thanks for your help!
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

The best way to find out system information such as this without tearing your case apart and meticulously scanning the surface of your motherboard for a model number is to download Everest. It will scan your PC and tell you everything you need to know about it, including the motherboard make/model.