Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Please HELP . Desperately seeking help

I am hoping some kind soul out there can help me with the following disaster.

Please note : I am a novice pretty much out of my depth as the following will show.
A brief summmary:
I wanted to free up some space on my C: drive so I thought go to where the biggest files are and get rid of some?!?
I deleted some files in sytem32 with .nls extension and logged off.

When I logged on I was told(surprise!) that windows could not start due to missing/corrupt ------.nls file(sorry can't remember the name)
I asked a telephone helpdesk what my options were and they suggested this could be fixed in WinXP repair console(they would have to visit me onsite for a hefty fee to help me with this)

Another source suggested I simply reinstall Win XP.
I went for the second option but I am unable to do this as I keep getting( I have tried to reinstall 4 times) Kernel_stack_inpage_error message after the installation disc runs for approx 10 mins.

Now when I log on the setup procedure starts all over again - my pc is locked into this futile procedure.

All I really want to know is whether ther's any simple way to restore my pc to what it was about 10 hours ago - or do I have to accept the professional
help(will they be able to fix it ?) at a cost due to my own stupidity in blindly deleting files.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi shinkansen and welcome to cth.

Is your pc a factory built pc i.e. branded name such as compaq, hp etc?