Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:30 AM

hard drive imminent failure- help!!

Everytime I turn my computer on it is showing this message: Imminent hard-drive failure. Then there are 2 boxes, one with boot computer, and the other one set up the computer. After I press f1 for boot the computer, it works fine as if nothing has happened. Please tell me what is wrong with my system and what can I do to get rid of this problem. Thank you
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:39 PM

Correction!

This is the actual message when I turn on my computer
1720- Hard Drive detects imminent failure then on the bottom of the screen I get 2 boxes one with press F1 to boot and second box press F10 to comp setup.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:12 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Sleepless, heed the warning! Hard drives have technology built in that monitor their health and report to the BIOS.
Back up your irreplaceable data immediately: documents, spreadsheets, photos, savegame files, e-mail, etc. that you can't replace. You can always reinstall your apps.
Download diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer's website and run it. It will give you more information and provide evidence for you to send to the manufacturer if you seek warranty replacement.
If this drive is still functional when you get a replacement, you can use the included software to clone your old drive onto your new one and not have to reinstall a thing.
Good luck.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hi Sleepless,

Again, I am with Strider here. Funny thing, too, is that I JUST dealt with this for a customer this week. Believe it or not, it is THE FIRST time I've seen the S.M.A.R.T. warning of imminent failure. Yep, HEED THE WARNING and thank the Hard Drive Gods for giving it to you. She lost EVERYTHING and it took me a FULL 8 DAYS at 18 hours a day recovering file by file. NOT FUN. So, do EXACTLY as Strider says and go NOW, go Forth and purchase a new HDD. DO NOT use your computer ANY MORE until you HAVE purchased a new one (except in the case of SAVING AND BACKING UP DATA--DO NOT USE IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE OR YOU WILL WILL WILL WILL BE SORRY!). And, like Strider said, by getting a new HDD you will PROBABLY be able to CLONE the old HDD that is failing. You don't have a whole lot of time until it does so this is one to take care of IMMEDIATELY.

There IS a tool, however, that will give you all of the S.M.A.R.T. info on your drive. It is here: http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

I hope this is going to help you!

Good luck there and DO HEED THAT WARNING!

Brian