Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Advanced User

HTML to plain text

For some reason when I get sent an HTML email from a certain company (exchange server if that matters) I receive in plain text.

Does anyone have any suggestion about why this happens or how I can stop it.

Regards,

Jacob
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Hi Jacob,

When you say you get plain text, are you seeing the HTML tags or just the unformatted text? What mail tool are you using and have you looked at the email source to see if something looks off?
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Are you receiving the email because you signed up for a newsletter or their list? If so, see if maybe you asked to receive emails in text format.
Old October 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Advanced User

I am using Outlook, I am recieving unformatted text and it says in the headers plain text as the content type when it was sent in Outlook rich text format. How can I view the source in outlook? No, this is not part of a newsletter thing, it is just standard emails from a company.

Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,

Jacob
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Good question. I don't know of a way, it seems like another case of MS protecting you from yourself

What you can check is the header for the message. Select the message, right click and select options. Look at the internet headers. Toward the end of them there should be a couple of lines something like this.

Content-type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="=bzxs6tyaxsb41rbhsghembvtfgmda1"
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced User

It comes up with the content type as plain text...
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Jacob, Sorry about making you repeat the content type, I missed it in your other post.

If it is coming across as plain text, I would think it is being sent out as plain text. Why do you think it should be in RTF? Is the mail coming from multiple people at the same company or just one person? What mailer is the person(s) using? Some mail apps let you specify what format mail gets sent in based on email address.

I'm just fishing here, but it is starting to sound like something on the senders end.