Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Internet connects, works for a while, then stops loading webpages

For a couple of days now I have had this weird problem stated above. I can connect fine to my isp and start surfing one or two sites, but after this pages take to long to load and i am prompted by a cannot open site error or something. The weird thing is I can still use my P2p programs like kazaa. How is that possible?0

To correct the problem I just did today an upgrade of xp to replace system files, but still the problem remains. I thought it could have been Zonealarm , as I did have some problems with it and internet access in the past, but shutting it down did nothing. After this message I will reinstall the modem to see if that has any affect, but I am doubting it will do anything.

I should note that I have had big problems prior to this odd internet problem that I think may be related to some sort of virus. I had and still do (cause it keeps coming back) the tftp file on my computer, which after some internet research I discovered was downloading some files to my computer -(eg.tftp1022), thus the system hog of 99% CPU. It was preparing to install a virus, but wasn't there yet. I tried to find a removal tool, but was unsuccessful as the virus-i think MSblast wasn't present yet cause it was still downloading the files. So I tried to manually remove the components. I deleted the tftp1023, etc files from system32 folder, but was unable to delete the tftp file indefintely, as it came back after I deleted.
I have blocked all access in Zonealarm to tftp.exe and I think this helped me get past the this system hog problem, but I think It may be contributing to the present problem.

Also I downloaded the Windows update patches -DOM or something to fix the vulnerable area. But I think they are gone now that I have done an upgrade.

Can you think of any ways to fix the present problem and to remove the tftp file?

Note: Some programs I have currently:
Zonealarm Pro 4.5, Steganos Anonymous Internet Security, Adaware SE personal, Complete Anonymous something, Opera browser, kazaa, peerguardian and grisoft avg antivirus.

Note: Some programs I recently removed:
Blocklist manager, PC and Modem Booster

Your help would be much appreciated.
Old August 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Are you using Steganos?
If you are using the Anonymous surfing feature then try disabling it.
I found that it dramatically slowed surfing when enabled.

Also, have you run a Virus scan?

Have you tried a different browser?
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:26 AM

steganos anonymous internet security is not running most of the time. It has not be running in recent days.

I have free grisoft avg antivirus and have run the virus scan but nothing is detected.

I have also run adaware and it is clean

i have also tried to other browsers such as modzilla and IE.

Last edited by petertwelves12; August 29th, 2004 at 06:30 AM.
Old August 30th, 2004, 03:08 AM

got it working finally

I tried reinstalling the modem, installing some windows updates but that didn't work. Then I decided to reset the TCP/IP using a site, which i accidentally came across searching for hosts files. I think this has solved my problem.

How to Reset the TCP/IP
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Noooo!!

Its stuffed up again. However I did get it running longer than previous connections to the net.
I should also note that before, I updated the host file in system32 from a 17kb to a 175kb file. I am not sure if that contributed to the extended use or whether it was the reinstalled modem or the resetting of the tcp/ip.

After much thought and a waste of dialup connections I can give you a better understanding of my problem.
Like above I am connecting for a longer period, say about 20minutes rather than under 10minutes. I can view all pages at first such as google.com, ford.com, but after a period of time of using one webpage (opening up links from that page and viewing pictures), all other pages don't work including update services, but exclud kazaa (p2p). The odd thing is, this last webpage I use for a long period of time (thumbnail of pics webpage) I can continue to view most links for another 20minutes or so , if they are all from the same original site. After a this free access to one webpage, the other links to other gallerys on that page don't work and then it all stops working. I disconnect when this occurs. I have tried reconnecting but it only works -allows surfing, if I restart the computer.

Note. During my free run of all pages I accessed some non-english sites (without translation). Could these sites have caused my problem.

Note: I cleaned the computer-removed caches and temp files but still no luck

Just before, I did a system clean-removed invalid registry files, etc using System mechanic and Registry first aid. I doubt it, but this might help fix the problem.

If you want to know the site that I used for the longer period of time, send me a private message. Warning It is not family orientated.
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Have you tried a different dial-up service?

Have you tried a different browser?
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:16 AM

If you are referring to the ISP. Our downstairs computer works fine with the same ISP (win98), although it has been going slow, but not on my dads laptop (winxp).

Both IE and opera have the same problem so it isn't the browser

Last edited by petertwelves12; August 31st, 2004 at 05:17 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:37 AM

Final Working Solution to fix internet when it stops loading pages after 5mins or so

I am now on my second start of windows and the internet is running smoothly. I can't say 100% what the solution was this time, but it could be a number of things. More so IE. I first removed Java 1.4.2 and Steganos anonymous internet security 6 and then to complete my trial and error method, I ticked IE in add/remove windows components along with simple TCP/IP serivices in networking. I am sure it was IE. This also fixed a Windows Update problem - [Error: 0x8007041D], where I couldn't get passed the searching for updates bit.

Well I might be back to say its broken again, but this time it feels right.
Thanks for you contribution,
pete
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I ticked IE in add/remove windows components along with simple TCP/IP serivices in networking
Glad you got it working.
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Thumbs down I am having the same problem

You are not the only person that is having this problem.

I rebuilt my machine at the weekend and the only thing I loaded on were the service packs, the updates, shareaza and norton antivirus.

My web browser just seems to stop browsing and every page you try and access comes up "Page cannot be displayed". If you highlight the address again and press enter it works after about 5 or 6 times, but it is really fustrating.

My internet connection is through cable not dial-up and I have tried resetting my modem etc as well, which makes no difference. Another thing is that is seems to run quite slow compared to usual.

Like yourself, my p2p program works fine and the windows automatic update seems to download fine as well. Occasionally the problem looks as if it has cleared itself and is ok for half an hour, then it starts again.

1 thing I have noticed is when you cannot access a web page, you can still ping it fine. I have ran virus scans, adware scans, tcp/ip reset, checked my hosts file, checked ie6 for illegal plugins.... nothing!!!

I was glad to see I am not the only person having this issue.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Gbobm
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Welcome

It's best to start your own thread.