Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:06 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
Critical Updates new version locking Up

Hi,

I went to the MS Critical Update (MSCU) page this am & it said the website had changed & to download the update. Which I did. When it finished it said there had been an error, 08xddd0004. When went to MS for more info, it said no info was available, so I assume I wrote the error# down wrong.

I rebooted and went back to MSCU the new “version” is there. But I have tried to click on Express Install, Custom Install, View Installation History and each time the page locks up. All other links on page work.

I tried to get the old version page up thru an internet search, but it brings me to the new version page. I have not installed SP2 update yet. I turned my Automatic Updates Notification back on.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks - Denise

Windows XP Home SP1, Norton Antivirus V 9.05.15, Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:59 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The first couple of times I went to the site, I got an error also, although I don't remember now what the error # was so this may not help at all. At any rate, it just kept trying to connect and finally apparently timed out. I tried turning off my firewall and it connected just fine. So, if you are running a firewall, you might turn it off and then try it.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Mine did the same thing and it was the firewall blocking it. Go into your firewall and allow "Generic Host Process For WIN 32 Services V5.1.2600.0" to have full access . This will stop the error and let you have the automatic updates ready to be installed.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:37 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
Thanks cheezit & misterbadnback.

I have marked the generic host for win32 services to be allowed. i even shut off the firewall and still have issues. The two recent error messages are 08xDD0009 (MS had no info on their error message that I could find) and error message 08X00A01Ad, which invloves ar registar fix (which I no nothing about) as follows:
Resolutions

1. Check permissions on the Windows Update registry key

1.Click Start.

2.Choose Run.

3.In the Run box, type REGEDIT.

4.Click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
*WARNING*
Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

5.Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate.

6.On the menu, click Edit. Click Permissions.

7.For Administrator and System, select the Allow check boxes next to Full Control and Read permissions. NOTE: In certain instances, these check boxes are grayed out. Ensure all accounts have appropriate permissions.

8.Click Apply.

9.Click OK.

10.Close the Registry Editor.

11.Restart the system

A Any idea what I should do next? -- Thanks