Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 22nd, 2001, 10:47 PM

Cant play any games full screen

hi i recently bought a tnt2 32mb pci video card and everything was working fine. then i had gotten a power surge thru the phonelines and sent my pc to radioshack to be fixed they replaced my video card with the same model but when i got it back i couldnt play any games fullscreen. my screen would go black and the moniter would shut off.. i was thinking it might be my drivers so i tried to update them but the problem was still there. i have directx 8.1 and when i try to do a display test directx crashes on me and i get the black screen. then i have to give it a hard reboot. i am thinking of reformatting but thats the last thing i wanna do.. i have an onboard video card also its an intel. please help me out
Old December 22nd, 2001, 11:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

Oh boy, video problems. These things can be such a pain. I don't know which is worse, the video card or analog modem.

First thing I'd do is make sure that video card is seated good...and I mean good. I've seen 'em look like they are all the way seated and still be a fraction of the way out and not work right, but work most of the times. Are you sure the BIOS settings for AGP are correct. They can change for no known reasons. Could the video card be overheating...of for that matter...is the CPU overheating. If that surge was able to hurt the video card, it was able to hurt other hardware too. Maybe try removing the video drivers and install the generic drivers. Reload windows and make sure the generic drivers stuck...still there. Then reinstall the correct drivers for the card.

Was DX8 installed when things were running OK? Does the problem only happen with one game, or more? Any other problems with anythings else? What version of Windows you running?
Old December 22nd, 2001, 11:54 PM

i am running windows 98
yes directx 8 was installed before and all the games worked. but when i got it back it stopped working. my card is a pci i have a 466mhz compaq with an onboard intel 810 videocard. i cant tell is my bios are correct still new to the bios. i see no signs of overheating and radioshack sent me a list of the system checks they did on the computer and it all passed. as for the generic drivers i dont know where to get those and by reload do you mean reformat?
i have also been looking around and think it might be the 2 video cards conflicting but im not an expert =( and the problem happens with all games example: final burn emulator i can play in windowed mode but soon as i hit full screen black screen of death
i am very greatful for your help.
i will try to take it out and put it back in firmly.
Old December 23rd, 2001, 01:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

OK, since it's a PCI video card there are no settings in the BIOS to worry about...only for AGP cards.

Reload means restart the computer and let windows load again..."reload".

If I knew what motherboard you have I could check out how to make any necessary settings for adding a video card. We need to know what kind of motherboard it is so we know if the motherboard disables the onboard video or if it needs to be disabled manually.

Windows has generic video drivers. You'd go to Cotrol Panel, Display, Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Adapter then click on Change. A window will open then click on Next. Then tick next to Display a list of all drivers... Then tick next to Display all hardware. Then scroll to the top and highlight the Standard Display Types in the left side window, then in the right window highlight the Standard Display Adapter (VGA) then click next. Go ahead and install that generic (standard) driver. The colors and everything is gonna look crappy, but that's OK. If all goes well, and it changes OK, restart the computer and let Windows load again. Make sure the new generic driver is still being used...you can tell if the colors and everything still looks crappy. If this works, good. If so, now you want to go thru this whole thing again, only this time you want to install the correct drivers for that video card. That's how you change video drivers.
Old December 23rd, 2001, 02:05 AM

well i hate to say this but i tried it and i still get the black screen and the light on the moniter still goes from green to orange like if it was sleeping then i have to shutdown manually. also when i try to run directx8.1 it still crashes while loading and i get the black screen then if i hit alt+crtl+delete i get the blue screen
i dont know but this extra info might help
Old December 23rd, 2001, 05:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

You never gave us the manufacturer of the motherboard.

I can only go so far with help this way. I'd need to be right there trying one thing after another to try and figure it out. You've got troubles where it could be hardware or software. You may need to take this thing in to an expert if you can't find it. Lots of trial and error with this kindda stuff. It could come down to a reformat, but I'd try everything else first.
Old December 23rd, 2001, 05:35 AM

im sorry but i dont know the mobo name i can try to find out..
i tried going to display options and settings then i hit advance and i clicked on the porformance tab then i lowered it to none and it worked once =(
but im gonna find the name of the mobo some how
Old December 23rd, 2001, 06:04 AM

hehehe i downloaded a program that tells me everything about my computer.
here is the name of the mobo
Board: Compaq 0608h
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686C2 07/23/1999
it says Main Circuit Board at the top i hope im correct about this
btw i dont mind reformatting =)
dont have anything important here everything is backed up on cd's
Old December 23rd, 2001, 07:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Compaq, they are soooo proprietary! *ack*

I'll try to find out some info on it for you.
Old December 23rd, 2001, 07:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hmm, I ain't getting nowhere with that mobo info. What's the name of the computer. Compaq what?
Old December 23rd, 2001, 07:20 AM

compaq prosario 5452
Old December 23rd, 2001, 08:14 PM

i was looking around and i gound a rompaq from compaq i think its a bios upgrade and the thing that cuaght my eye was this part:
Enhancements/Fixes:

Presario Models 5346, 5352, 5356, 5358, 5373, 5376, 5396, 5451, 5452,
5456, 5457, 5465, 5471, 5473, 5475, 5476, 5476, 5477, 5485, 5700N,
5711, 5712, 5714, 5715, 5721, 5724, 5822, 5827, 5832, 5834, 5835

In this SoftPaq:

- Fixed issue with certain VGA cards causing lock-ups.
here is the link to that text

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/SP15501-16000/SP15806.txt

i havent downloaded this yet unless you tell me to and i havent reformatted until you say to.
i been looking for info on the same problem til 5am.
just tring to help out the help =)

[ 23 December 2001: Message edited by: Lordcyris ]
Old December 23rd, 2001, 10:53 PM

i found some information you might want to know i read somewhere that it might be IRQ conficts. so i took a screenshot of my IRQ list. heres the link http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/lordcyr...IRQ_s_list.jpg
i hope this can help too =)
darn angelfire dont click on the link cut and paste it so you can see it =)

Old December 24th, 2001, 01:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

I read that text via the link you provided. You state that you're waiting for me to give the go ahead. I must leave that up to you. By the text, it seems like a straight forward process. If it were me, and I mean me, I'd go ahead and do it to see if it fixes things. But that's ME. You do what you think is best. Ya never know, it could make things worse...that's just the nature of computers. Nothing is 100% guaranteed with this stuff.

Have you been in the BIOS to see if there are any settings to turn on and off the built-in video?

Are there any conflicts listed in the Device Manager located in Control Panel/System? The IRQ list you gave us doesn't really tell us anything. But thanks for trying, you (and me) are learning.

This is just one of the reasons I don't like Compaq (and others) is because they are so darn proprietary! They make things hard on me.
Old December 24th, 2001, 02:19 AM

i have been in the bios but have not seen anything to turn off the onboard video. i downloaded a compaq diagnostic program and this is what i found.

Graphics
Primary Graphics Controller . . Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver (DC100)
Primary Monitor . . . . . . . . Default Monitor
Primary Graphics Memory Size . . 32 Megabytes
my onboard doesnt have 32megs of ram i think its using both cards at once.. i really dont wanna make things worse. but i will try the new bios in a few..
oh hehehe there are no conflicts in device manager