Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Bit Torrent

Anyone on the forums uses Bit Torrent (and clients) to download stuff?

Mine's been acting up lately, and I was wondering if anyone could help.

When I start the download, it usually downloads for about a minute. After that the transfer becomes 0kbps download and 0kbps upload. And I have to reconnect my connection to get it started again, only to encounter the same problem.

All help appreciated. I really need my daily fix of anime (Legally distributed ones! Unless they're all illegally distributed?)
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
I'm not a fan of Bit Torrent. It's too blatantly illegal.

File sharing with uploads to web hosting servers? That's how they brought
down Napster. This is why Bit Torrent sites constantly disappear, the hosting
gets contacted that a client is using the account for illegal purposes and the
account gets closed.

Also high speed transfers on port 80 doesn't make any sense at all.

The essence of file sharing is you don't upload. Bit Torrent breaks all the
laws about software and copyright. I don't support using that service at all.
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Well in a way I do. I use www.shareaza.com to do my downloading. It will download the files you want but doesn't do the uploading to it. Works much better.

I found that with Cable access it could take up to 3-4 days to download crap. So I just quit using it. More of a pain than anything. Plus I agree with spider, "The essence of file sharing is you don't upload."

As far as what the problem your having is. The only suggestion I have is to uninstall it and reinstall. See that will help you.
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Bit Torrent ran fine for me, then after a while it started to slow down to 0 upload/download.

I found the problem was upgrading from Zonealarm 4.5 to 5.0

I have now reverted back to Zonealarm 4.5 & I no longer have a problem & my Download speeds remain good.
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Midnight Mick : I think I just upgraded to the new Zone Alarm. I'll try reverting back to the old one. Thanks

Dodge: I've tried reinstalling, and even using a new client to download, but it still happens. I'm beginning to believe that Midnight Mick had the solution to the problem. I'll give everything a shot, and report once I've got a solution.

Spider: I thought that using Bit Torrent to download stuff that was unlicensed was legal? Which download type wouldn't be illegal then? I'll try looking for the things I want to download there
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Ah, it was in fact ZoneLabs 5.0 that was causing the problems.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Good to hear you got sorted.
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glabb
Spider: I thought that using Bit Torrent to download stuff that was unlicensed was legal? Which download type wouldn't be illegal then? I'll try looking for the things I want to download there
If it's...
  • for sale on the Web
  • for sale in a regular retail store
  • copyrighted
  • trademarked
...then its' illegal to keep on a server and offer downloads.

P2P means Point To Point. So for example if I had a song on my hard drive
and I run P2P software then another person that runs that same software
can connect to me and download my song. Since I live in Canada it's not
illegal for me to have songs on my hard drive and run P2P software. The
Canadian federal government has deemed this so, but if your an American
the federal government says it's illegal for you to allow P2P users to have
access to your songs on your hard drive.

Bit Torrent isn't P2P, it's like any other Web site that offers downloads.
Bit Torrent users can upload or download, if they upload commercial items
to a Bit Torrent site then that is software piracy. If they are American
and upload songs then they are breaking a federal law.

It's not hard to know what's illegal and what's not it's just like the real World.
What store can you walk into and grab something and walk out without paying
for it?
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:58 PM

My understanding of Peer To Peer networks was that, unlike the centrallized Napster servers, recent services, featured on the Fasttrack, Gnutella, and BitTorrent networks are decentrallized. Meaning precisely that users download directly from one another rather than from a server. An upload, in this instance, would be the act of allowing one user to download from you.

BitTorrent, as I've heard, identifies files through unique "torrents" or Identification. Files are broken into many many several small pieces which are downloaded from your Peers on the network. These pieces are then reassembled on your computer. This allows for quick, small downloads from each user to create a collectively large whole. Such is the difference between BitTorrent and many other filesharing services.
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glabb
The program itself is legal, to use it to download unlicensed commercial property is illegal. Any download type that is commercial, copyrighted, trademarked, etc is illegal. If you want the software, you need to go to the manufacturers site to get it legally. If you are not sure whether or not it is legal, do not download it.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:38 AM

i feel it's a bunch of crap that some idiot in a suit wants to punish people for bit torrent when chances are they will never buy the product ever or can't offered it

and just to ensure that the great webmasters who provide us with torrent files get the support they need we should download bit torrent files more now than ever
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asprin
i feel it's a bunch of crap that some idiot in a suit wants to punish people for bit torrent when chances are they will never buy the product ever or can't offered it

and just to ensure that the great webmasters who provide us with torrent files get the support they need we should download bit torrent files more now than everWelll
Aspirin, welcome to CyberTechHelp. Nice of you to decide to register and decide to resurrect an old thread and decide to post and decide to ignore our terms of use.
There is no grey area - using Bit Torrent clients to download commercial or copyrighted material is illegal.
You're saying that everyone should break the law?
I need a new computer and can't afford one what with having to support a family and all. I think I'll come over and rob your house since it's OK to steal, right? I bet yours is better than any of mine.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
As far as I' concerned, this is a non-issue. It doesn't matter if you believe you should be able to download copyrighted content, the law clearly states you cannot. It's the same with any crime - just try arguing with a police officer when he catches you speeding that you were simply going the speed you believe you should be allowed to go. The law is a supposed reflection of society's morals. If the majority of society believes copyright law should be abolished, then eventually it's bound to be so - but until that time, you follow the law that you have.

If you can afford to buy it, do so or don't at your own accord, but don't steal it. If you can't afford it, guess what - tough luck. You're not entitled to a copy. It's a privilege, not a right.

Last edited by oracle128; May 13th, 2006 at 10:07 AM.