Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
Windows XP SP2 (Preview)

WARNING: this is a preview download and is likely to still contain bugs until SP2 is considered completed

Link to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sp2predl.mspx
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I can say that I have been running SP2 for about 3 weeks now and it has worked great. Not one single problem and I've installed in on Home and Pro and on 3 different systems.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Does this need the SP1, before it can be used?
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:46 AM
Banned

I've read that some of the programs written to operate under older windoze versions and service packs will be rendered inoperable on XP;SP2. If that's true, than I'll stick to SP1.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra
Does this need the SP1, before it can be used?
I would have to say yes since I have never installed a second service pack that did not require the first one. In fact, I believe you would get an error if you try to install it without sp1. But I have been fooled before.
Old March 21st, 2004, 01:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

In the case of MS Service Packs to OS's, they are cumulative. That should be the case with this one, in that everything that was in SP1 is also within SP2. Thus, you shouldn't need SP1 installed prior to installing SP2. I know they do things differently in the Office area, but with every NT based OS from MS that I know of, you do not need to have a prior SP installed before installing a newer one.
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostCode
In the case of MS Service Packs to OS's, they are cumulative. That should be the case with this one, in that everything that was in SP1 is also within SP2. Thus, you shouldn't need SP1 installed prior to installing SP2. I know they do things differently in the Office area, but with every NT based OS from MS that I know of, you do not need to have a prior SP installed before installing a newer one.

good point, my experiences with installing service packs out of order iz with Office. I have always updated windows as soon as the sp is available but am usually behind with office.
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

My question is, and always has been, why do it two different ways within the same company? It seems to me that they would have a less issues with users updating there Office products if they used the same method that is used for updating the OS line.
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I don't use XP much.

The only problem I found was that I didn't have SP1 and installed XP2 directly.
Didn't seem to be a problem with the upgade with the OS or SP2 but there was a niggling problem.

Firstly, Windows Update would not load. Found a Registry hack on MSKB to reset it.
Then Windows Update still wanted my to install SP1 and various patches.

Just to keep it happy I installed SP1, then went to Windows Update and installed the patches.

Then reinstalled SP2.

Windows Update seems to be happy with that.
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hello all,

I an going to give this a try tomorrow. Will I see anything different or is this mainly an under the hood update?

Thanks

Edit Holy molly it is 273 MB

Last edited by tramtwo; May 1st, 2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

The main difference you will see is Window Media Player 9... It is alot different than 8x... Other than that, I have failed to see any other differences.

I still can't get Windows Update to work for some reason. (didn't happen immediately after the update, so I doubt that was the problem)
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I'm sure my XP had WMP9 installed by default before adding SP2
The biggest difference I noticed is the Windows Security Center (or whatever it's called). With it's notices that popup every now and then.

What is your Windows Update error?

See if this helps. The registry edit should fix it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello,

Well, I have noticed the the windows update site is different(interface to change computer setting), there were three security updates to be done after install. The tools interface is a bit different on IE. And there is of course that crazy icon put in the task bar if your security setting are not what windows recommends. I really don't like that.

I have also noticed that the windows firewall is now defaulted on and has a bunch of features added. almost looks like a real firewall, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Thankz
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

Degsy, There isn't an error message at all. Just a blank page. This happens in XP Home and Pro. Was happening in Pro before the SP2 upgrade. I've checked out there page and didn't see anything about a Blank page. (not like I'm too concerned with it, just curious...lol)

Tram, Sorry about that. I forgot all about the Firewall bit. They say that when Longhorn comes out it is going to have even more features. It will still be set to default on.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

Also forgot to mention the IE Popup Stopper. Actually works pretty good. I was shocked with it.