Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Unhappy Can't do System Restore on Windows Me

Hello every one...I'm new here and I hope some one can give me the answer to my problem....I have a HP Windows Me....A few days ago I was doing a System Restore and I got half way through when my PC froze up and I could not do anything else except click it off on the power button to shut it down.....I was trying to do the System Restore again but it wont do it any more....It will do it but when it tells you to restart your Computer and the PC starts again than the main page would come up and tell me that there were no changes made because the System could not do any Restorel...I tried it several times with other dates but it did the same thing like the first time......
Anybody have any idea how I can get that fixed without having to reformat....
Any help would really be appreciate it...Thank you,
Gabriele
Old October 4th, 2003, 07:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Gabriele - welcome to CTH. Try installing the patch here and let us know if it helps.
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If the patch don't help, please explain what the problem was to begin with that made you decide to restore. Could be related.
Old October 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
it could be that you can slove your problem by reinstalling me over the top of itself, however we need more info on why you need to do the restore
Old October 4th, 2003, 05:25 PM

Smile Thank you

Thank you so much , all of you.for your Help......I have downloaded the Patch already but I havent tried it yet....I would like to tell you why I had to do the System Restore.....Everytime when I went to check for critical download's from Microsoft they would tell me I had one Lucent Driver to update and to download......The one I'm having right now is Lucent Win Modem.
Anyway,I tried to download it and when it download it before the Installation began , a pop up window came up asking me if they could remove the other one..I said yes....than another little window pop't up asking if they could remove the OM3, i didn't know what that really was for, but I did say yes....this when I saw a cross going across my ISP on the taskbar and the Installation began but it didn't finisht....I had waited 2 hours for it to finish ,but it didn't do anything ....I had checket my resource if that was low but it showed I had 71% on resource left...soooooo ,I had to shut it down and I restarted the PC but it turned out I had no Internet Server.....This is when I tried to do the System Restore hoping I get everything back the way it was....This has happen to me once before, but I was able to do the restore and got everything going again and the System Restore worked good.....What is it, why can't I get the Driver downloaded or is it because I said yes for them to remove the other Driver and the OM3 ???????? Maybe someone can me an answer to that , Pleaseee.....
I'm really happy I have found this site from Cyber Tech and joined the forum...
You people's are great........Thank you again.....
Gabriele

Last edited by Gabriele; October 4th, 2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Right click on My Computer>Properties>Device Manager. Click the plus sign by Modem, and highlight whatever modem shows, then Remove. Actually, in case there's more than one, take them all out. Then restart the computer, and hopefully Winduhs will recognize the modem, and reinstall the driver HP provided to begin with.

If that doesn't work, then you might be able to reinstall the original modem driver from the Recovery set you got with your computer from HP. My guess is that you got 3 discs? If so, it'll be on disc 3. (The first two are for a complete reinstall, and that's a last resort).

EDIT: might help to post your model number, so we can go to HP's site for more info if needed. Look under Start>Programs>HP Tools>HP Pavilion Support I.D.

On a personal note, take driver updates with a grain of salt. They're not for everyone, as you can see.

Another EDIT: There's been a couple of bugs with System Restore, actually. Check your "Help" files (Start>Help) and see if some or all of the text is missing, or if the calendar in System Restore shows the year of 1899. There's a bug in the .htc file, and there's a fix for that, in case Restore still doesn't work after the patch you just downloaded. I'll post it. And the possibility exists that you have a virus. In the last couple of years viruses have been exploiting System Restore, because System Restore isolates itself from anti-virus programs.

Last edited by JoJo Gunn; October 4th, 2003 at 06:52 PM.
Old October 4th, 2003, 06:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

i have found hp are good with support via email so if you get stuck they can give you advice specific to your system