Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old September 21st, 2018, 02:16 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question HP 2540 printer not online

I am using a wireless FUJITSU Lifebook A series on windows 10 Home. Also a wireless HP 2540 3 IN 1 PRINTER.I receive an email - open it and then need to print some of the contents. However when i hit the print button i get a message saying "your printer is not connected"or not online" and i am unable to proceed. Iv'e tried google to find an answer on what i need to do to overcome this but not being too techie i still cannot fathom it out. The odd thing is if i use my Apple iPad instead of my laptop it will do the same job without any probs. I would welcome any help in getting my laptop and printer back together again. Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:56 PM

Did printing used to work with this setup? Can you see the printer when looking in your router's admin menu under connected devices?
Old September 22nd, 2018, 04:27 PM

Hi Digerati-- yes this used to work with no trouble. I cant seem to find the routers admin menu but i went into "devices and printers" in the control panel and saw the following -- 1. fujitsu laptop. 2. HP Deskjet 2540 series.[offline]error. 3.HP Deskjet 2540 series Class Driver [offline]. Dont know if this helps you at all. It feels like i may have accidently switched off the wireless connection somehow. Would this be possible?
Regards
Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM

Does the printer's display panel show it is on-line? Have you tried power cycling the printer?

To access the router's admin menu, you enter the router's IP address in your browser. Home routers typically have an IP of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 or something similar. If you open a command prompt and enter: ipconfig, it should be shown as "Default Gateway".
Old September 23rd, 2018, 10:17 AM

Hi Digerati thanks for your reply.Yes the printer is shown as online and it is working on wireless fine when i send print command from my iPad but not from my laptop. So it appears to me the problem lies with the laptop. Is there any other way of getting a wireless connection between the laptop and printer.Have you any idea what this HP Wireless direct is that i've seen on here. Thankyou for trying to help.
Cheers
Old September 23rd, 2018, 02:46 PM

Look at the printer properties in the laptop and compare them to the printer properties shown with the iPad. My "guess" is you will see the laptop is printing to the wrong IP address.

You could just try to delete the printer from the laptop and then add a new one.
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Hi Digerati just to let you know i deleted the printer as you suggested then reinstalled as new and hey presto everything is now working fine. Thankyou for your help. You guys are invaluable to the likes of me.
Good Luck
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:25 PM

Great! Glad that worked and thanks for posting your followup!