Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:36 PM

No internet connection

I wasn't able to get my broadband connection going yesterday on my Win7 Compaq AMD Dual core desktop, and got an error suggesting that there was some proxy problem. All of it was out of the blue.

While it sounded like a physical problem involving the router or modem, all of that checked out fine with my ISP and with another computer. Then I thought it was my virus protection and firewall, and I deleted all that and still nothing. Then I believed it was my network card, but when I installed Linux, getting the connection was not a problem, so it is not a physical problem or an antivirus issue.

It is a Windows 7 flameout of some kind.

When I was still under the impression it was my network card, I bought a USB Ethernet adapter, and what happened was the software installed but when I hotplugged the device, I got an error message saying the software had not installed correctly.

I have been having trouble installing software, especially store-bought apps that are a little more complex than shareware.

My best guess is that I have had some kind of wholesale crap out of my .dll's, whatever they do, because some error messages mention them. I recall dll failures inhibiting software installs in the past.

Is there a way to verify that all my .dll's are correct, up to date, and uncontaminated? I prefer Windows because I know it and because some of my stuff won't work without it. But I also have confidential work meaning I can't bring my computer into a shop.

Thanks.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hi Total Noob,

As a mention, I suspect few repair folks have any interest in what happens on your system. They just want to get it fixed and back to you, so you pay them for doing that.

I suggest we take a look from a malware perspective, if that's okay with you.

To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Hi Total Noob,

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.
[/LIST]
Huzzah! Farbar alerted me that my ethernet card had been disabled. Not my doing, but done nonetheless. I followed the instructions to re-enable and here I am.

Thanks Jintan. I was a minute from buying another computer.
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I appreciate you posting back the update.