Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:42 PM

0x00000124 BSOD HELP!!

Hello all,

I am receiving bsod recently every since i changed out my graphics card and I cannot figure out what is going on.

Comp Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Radeon R5 220 gpu --newly installed
4gb 1600 ddr3 ram
500gb hdd
Gigabyte P55 mobo

What I have done:
Replaced old gpu with Radeon R5 220
Updated BIOS
Updated Radeon drivers

I have 2 accounts on my comp, "Admin" and "Myname". I kept getting bsod of death in my account so i switched to the admin and installed the latest radeon drivers. It installed a game console gui to my computer that also searches for the latest update drivers. Even though I received a successful installation notice before the game console gui was installed, the game console kept telling me that I needed to update to the version of drivers I just updated to. However, now I am receiving bsod in both my account and admin account and am not sure what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Yellowbrick
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:17 AM

Always remove your previous video driver installation before adding a new card. Even if your old card was a Radeon too. A new card may use similar drivers but there can be differences that can cause conflicts and conflicts can cause blue screens. Use safe mode to make sure you don't crash while removing all video drivers (I like to use the manufacturers uninstall tools, they both have them). Then start from scratch, Your Cards install disk may have the uninstall tool on it.

If you already removed all drivers then check to make sure you have the proper power connections to the card and the power supply is adequate by the cards recommendations.

Last edited by Appzalien; January 13th, 2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late one. I have been pretty busy past few days. I will certainly look into your suggestion and work on implementing that and let you know. I don't think I removed the old drivers so hopefully that will fix it. I'll keep you updated.
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:24 PM

Sorry for late update. I removed the all old drivers and current drivers, then reinstalled a fresh set of drivers for the GPU. I still am getting blue screens. Now when I look at my RAM it only shows 3.3gb of my 4gb in the performance tab and system tab (control panel), whereas I used to remember it showing at least 3.9gb. I am not sure if something is wrong my RAM or not.

I also read around and saw some people having this error code and issues with their ntfs. I was thinking of switching from my hdd to a ssd and ghosting over my old system to the new ssd. If I do this, do you think that it would work? Would it copy over everything ntfs related as well as all files or would it only copy over what windows needs to run?

I don't want to have to buy a whole new computer so I was hoping that maybe the new GPU drivers and maybe a new ssd might help solve the problem. I was also thinking of upgrading my RAM from 2 sticks of 2gb each to 2 sticks of 4gb each, just as an additional upgrade.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:45 PM

Is your ram 2x2gig sticks or 1 4gig stick. If 2x2 you can test each stick by using only one at a time in the first slot. Your total ram may have changed due to the video card change. Do you know how to run a chkdsk from command prompt? If you run it from within windows it should refuse to run and ask to reboot and run from there. start > all programs > accessories > right click command prompt and run as administrator.

Type in chkdsk /r ( Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information) note there is a space between the command chkdsk and the switch /r. You can aslo run chkdsk /f which would be faster since it doesn't look for bad sectors just corrupt system files.

Did you use the manufacturers removal utility or just uninstall from the control panel?
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:23 PM

My ram is 2x2gig sticks. I have not run a chkdsk command before but I will be sure to run it and i will run /r for more accurate readings and post the results here if any.

I just uninstalled from the control panel.
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:04 AM

I actually prefer to use a third party driver removal tool for graphics cards for one reason. Both nvidia and amd(ati) have a tendency to leave a lot of data behind including card settings and registry entries. They do it because they're vain and believe your just going to reinstall their stuff again. The control panel is windows driven and even worse at leaving things behind. At least the manufacturers utility will do a better job than windows. The third party uninstallers I used to use don't seem to be around anymore try "Display Driver Uninstaller". It will work on both amd and nvida. If the chkdsk works out you can save the utility for next time. When using a driver uninstall utility you need to be aware that your motherboard may have nvida or ati chipsets on the board. you don't want to uninstall those drivers unless you download new ones specific to your board and want to try that.