Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:44 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Rooting my phone, is it worth it?

Hi! I have an old LG Optimus L9. It works for me except that it frustrates me that I can't transfer my apps on my sd card. The internal memory is a very limiting 2 gb but minus the OS and all, it leaves only about 1.2 GB or so. I do not have to worry about avoiding warranties because I am on prepaid and I bought this phone used through ebay last year.

If it is worth rooting it, any advise on the best method? Thanks!
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:48 AM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Why can't you transfer your apps?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
rooting your phone depends upon a number of items - from the os version to the full model number of your phone. Get the wrong unlocking utility and you will be a proud owner of a brick. It would be better if you went to a place that excels in rooting like the xda forum.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

I know a lot of people like keeping their apps on the sd card but IMO, I would rather keep them on the phone and put everything else on the sd card.

ONe thing, I used to use clean master from cheetah mobile and everytime I would install an app, it asks me if I want to move it to the sd card - I never selected yes so not sure how it works. might want to check it out and see if it will do what you want.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
Why can't you transfer your apps?
I do not know why they took away that option. My older Android 2.1 device let's me. My LG Optimus L9 runs on jellybean and they took away the option of moving apps to sd card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
rooting your phone depends upon a number of items - from the os version to the full model number of your phone. Get the wrong unlocking utility and you will be a proud owner of a brick. It would be better if you went to a place that excels in rooting like the xda forum.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

I know a lot of people like keeping their apps on the sd card but IMO, I would rather keep them on the phone and put everything else on the sd card.

ONe thing, I used to use clean master from cheetah mobile and everytime I would install an app, it asks me if I want to move it to the sd card - I never selected yes so not sure how it works. might want to check it out and see if it will do what you want.
Thank you for your tips. I will try clean master and if not, I will research at your linked forum.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

another place to check is the application manager in the general settings. I have 4.4.2 android and there is a box that I can check to move the app to the sd card. It is not available for all the apps, it is for most
Old November 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Intalled it! It does not give me the option to move apps to sd card and tells me that phone needs to be rooted to do so.

Quote:
another place to check is the application manager in the general settings. I have 4.4.2 android and there is a box that I can check to move the app to the sd card. It is not available for all the apps, it is for most
Mine does not give me that option.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

Apps that are pre-installed cannot be moved to the SD card, without rooting the phone. Many apps that you install yourself can be moved to the SD card, but not all and you have to remember that you can only move the .apk file, you cannot move any "data" created by the app/s unless you root the phone.
I tried out Clean Master, and found that it was asking to buy the "full version" or it would tell me I need other apps that they have created, to do certain tasks. When the world cup started this year, the Clean Master creator decided that the app needed a "world cup" app added to it, this of course had nothing to do with cleaning your phone/device, so I got rid of that app. There are several apps out there that can clean your phone/device, and most do just as good a job as Clean Master. One app I do like very much is called All In One Toolbox. It can clean your phone/device, it can install/uninstall apps, it has a file explorer, it can even be set to let you know if an app you install can be moved to the SD card (just the .apk file, not data). Plus it has other usefull features too.There are also other "move to SD card apps available, I just like the one I mentioned simply because it is a small .apk, yet has so many usefull tools included.
My phone is similar to yours in as much as the "storage space" is limited to 2 gigabytes, which quickly gets filled up if you're not careful. This is why I find that moving the .apk files to the SD card is very much needed
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Apps that are pre-installed cannot be moved to the SD card, without rooting the phone. Many apps that you install yourself can be moved to the SD card, but not all and you have to remember that you can only move the .apk file, you cannot move any "data" created by the app/s unless you root the phone.
I tried out Clean Master, and found that it was asking to buy the "full version" or it would tell me I need other apps that they have created, to do certain tasks. When the world cup started this year, the Clean Master creator decided that the app needed a "world cup" app added to it, this of course had nothing to do with cleaning your phone/device, so I got rid of that app. There are several apps out there that can clean your phone/device, and most do just as good a job as Clean Master. One app I do like very much is called All In One Toolbox. It can clean your phone/device, it can install/uninstall apps, it has a file explorer, it can even be set to let you know if an app you install can be moved to the SD card (just the .apk file, not data). Plus it has other usefull features too.There are also other "move to SD card apps available, I just like the one I mentioned simply because it is a small .apk, yet has so many usefull tools included.
My phone is similar to yours in as much as the "storage space" is limited to 2 gigabytes, which quickly gets filled up if you're not careful. This is why I find that moving the .apk files to the SD card is very much needed
cleanmaster does have a lot of ads and can be a pain to read the screen because of them. that was one of the reasons I got rid of it.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Intalled it! It does not give me the option to move apps to sd card and tells me that phone needs to be rooted to do so.

Mine does not give me that option.
what version of android do you have?
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
what version of android do you have?
Android 4.1.2
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Android 4.1.2
looks like you will have to root it in order to move your apps.