Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 19th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Moving backup files to larger ext hard drive

I have an external hard drive 1T size that I use for work purposes for 3 years now and it is almost full. I bought a new 2T and would like to move the files from the 1T to the 2T.
The files are kept in folders by dates such as October 2012 etc.
Each file has many sub-folders. What I do is right click and send to external hard drive for backup. Then just rename the files but never delete any content. Such as October 2012, November 2012.
By doing that I keep all sub-folders.

Is there an easy way to move the files to the large hard drive without losing data. In the past when I have tried windows would show duplicate folders and would not allow to be moved.

I really need to do this without losing any data.
Thanks
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you should be able to move the folders without any problems. as far as duplicate folders, I cannot see why there would be duplicate folders if they are within parent folders with different names.
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:35 PM

Duplicate files

to find and remove duplicate files you may use DuplicateFilesDeleter .
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

simon67, that is a for-pay software, so I kinda suspect, as a first time poster, you are spamming. And deals with files - we are talking folders here.

jr70895, sounds like you are "merging" the folders, meaning the source folder's name is the same as one on the external drive. Other then I suspect you may be pack-ratting, and have a heck of a time locating any exact saved data, best guess is to rename each major to-be-copied folder before transferring it to the external drive. Why not post back on this, and let's review it further.

Last edited by Jintan; February 14th, 2014 at 11:59 PM.