Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:44 AM

Windows Error-Windows Failed to Start (moved from W7)

Hello,

I tried to start my Dell Studio 1555 running windows 7 (64 bit) (originally installed with vista but upgraded windows 7 2 years ago) but windows fails to start and displays the following:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If windows files have been damaged or ... incorrectly. Startup repair can help diagnose and repair the problem..."

It gives the options:
"Launch startup repair (recommended)
Start windows normally"

I tried starting windows normally but it takes me to the same page after taking a couple of minutes of trying to start windows (it appears to blue screen for a split second but I cannot read what it says because it's so fast)

I tried the start up repair.
It took me to System Recovery. It displayed:

"o Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows.
Select an operating system to repair.

If your operating system isn't listed, click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks.

o Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier."

There are no operating systems listed for me to select. I have the windows 7cds but I don't know what drivers I'd need to install. I do not have any system images unfortunately.

I then got to the system recovery options page which lets me select between startup repair, system restore, system image recovery, windows memory diagnostic, and command prompt."

I tried selecting startup repair but it displays "Startup repair cannot repair the computer automatically. Send more info to microsoft. " Under problem details the problem event name says "StartupRepairOffline".

System restore doesn't work because it wants me to select and operating system.

I have not changed any hardware and I haven't installed any new software. About a week ago my battery started displaying an x over it indicating the battery should be replaced. Not sure if that has anything to do with windows not starting (I tried starting the computer without the battery, but it didn't make a difference).

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Thanks,

Jaclyn
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Jaclyn. The issue may be hardware related and this is not the correct forum for hardware issues however we can run a few checks and see what results we get.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts. A menu should appear with Safe Mode among the choices.

If not, make sure that your Bios is configured so you can boot from the CD/DVD drive (see here for more help) and boot from your Windows 7 DVD.

Hit the space bar when the "Press any key ... " prompt appears and then at the "Language" screen, press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt.

Type:

diskpart

and hit Enter.

When you see the blinking cursor appear after DISKPART>, type:

list volume

and hit Enter.

Please copy what you see next and post it here (type "exit" to close diskpart and then "exit" again to close the command prompt).
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:09 AM

Windows will not start in safemode. It takes me back to the same error page.

The command prompt displayed:

"Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
------------- ---- ----- --- ----- ---- ------- ----
Volume 0 E GRMCHPXFREO UDF DVD-ROM 3075MB Healthy
Volume 1 D RECOVERY NTFS Partition 14GB Healthy
Volume 2 C RAW Partition 451GB Healthy
Volume 3 FAT Partition 39MB Healthy Hidden"

It took a long time for "DISKPART >" and for the last 2 lines of the list to appear. I'm not sure if that is normal.

Thank you for your help.
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Jaclyn, I am transferring your topic to our Hardware Forum for more help. Your Windows NTFS partition has been converted to RAW so it's entirely possible that your HDD is faulty. As far as your battery is concerned, if you are running off mains power, I wouldnt have thought it would be a factor but I very rarely work on hardware issues such as this so I would rather let the experts handle it.

If your data isnt backed up and you require it, you also need to consider Data Recovery software. Post a new topic in our Applications Forum if you need help with this.