Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
good cleanup

Is there a program that will show you things that have not been used in the last 12months. I have so much stuff on here most of which I dont know what they are. Some are things I downoaded when getting help from cybertec.
Some are from when my son used this computer.
My thought is if something hasent been used in the last 12 months then I could delet it. Thanks.
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hello - might get you started w/ some steps that I use intermittently - will free up some disk space and hopefully remove a number of lesser used programs; not sure your 12 month 'rule' is the best approach.

First, use Disk Cleanup - assuming that you are using VISTA - just go to the START menu and in the search box, type in 'Disk Cleanup' and select the program from the pop up choices - will also empty your recycle bin.

Second, if you are familiar w/ Windows Explorer, migrate to your home folder and look in the music, pictures, and downloads subfolders - there may be much there (possibly loaded by your son) that could be deleted and likely clearing up a lot of disk space.

Finally, go to the 'Control Panel' in the Start Menu and select 'Programs and Features' - this will list installed programs, Windows updates, et al - you can uninstall programs at this point - just be careful, many may relate to the Windows functions (and security updates) of your computer.

Good luck and I'm sure others will 'chime in' w/ further advice.
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Just to add to what giradman said regarding installed programs, there is a searchable database here of most software installations. The database offers more information about the software you have installed which should assist you to make a decision whether or not you wish to keep a particular program.
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Gwilym

Thanks girdaman, have deleted loads of stuff as you directed.
Thanks AnnMarie I,ve put that link into favorites and will use it to sort out the stuff I,m not sure about.
Since posting I,ve had a serious bug attack.
I noticed AVG was not working, and any scan I tried wouldent work. Google only sent me to one page Bookmark..... something. Trusste Rapport provided by bank popped up with danger to financial system or something like that.
I went into safe mode and managed to run AVG that seemed to sort it, also ran spybot, adaware,and Housecall.
Things seem ok now on bug front.
The laptop is still running really slow though.
Thanks again.
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Gwil, you need to post a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum and ask one of the Malware Removal Team to check your OS to make sure it's not infected.
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks AnnMarie will do that.
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome.
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi Gwil - glad you were able to 'clean up' your computer; sorry about the malware issue - I've been to the 'Malware Forum' several times - great help there, so good luck!