Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM

Frequent Windows 7 bad image errors, forcing shut down

Hi, i have a Packard Bell ipower x3.0 desktop computer, which is nearly a year old and i keep getting bad image errors and some error about a .dll file. when this happens i have to force a shut down and i can't open the start menu or any other .exe file.. also can't even bring up the task manager.. i need help because i am losing work because of this problem! i use my computer to game and make music using Reason 5.0.

At first i thought it was something to do with catalyst control center, as a MOM.exe and CCC.exe errors came up. so i uninsatlled the CCC and left the drivers for my video card. and it is still happening. my video card is a ATI HD Radeon 5570.

so i really need help with this problem!

i might also point out that it was happening before, when i had intellipoint installed for my mouse, i uninsatlled that and it stopped happening for abit. also i have done 2 factory restores and i have run CHKDSK and sfcscan now, which found no errors. i also have run virus scan with malewarebytes and nothing was found!!

regards nathan

Okay, another error happened and i had to force a shut down yet again, this is what the error read.. dwm.exe - application error. the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). click ok to close the application.

i couldn't even click ok to close it it and as always windows explorer failed and i couldn't click on anything or open anything. so i had to turn off my PC.. this is the second time in about an hour of my PC being on.

Last edited by nibz00; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: ANOTHER CRASH
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

Can you list system specs?

Use memtest86 to test your ram. DL the iso version and burn it to cd/dvd (this will be a bootable cd). reboot using the cd (you may need to change your bios setting to boot from cd first). run the memory tests. if any of the tests fail, you may need new memory.

If the tests pass, try Clean booting windows 7.
Check your system event logs for errors and post them here. (type eventvwr.msc in the run box. expand the windows log entry, and check both the system and application logs for errors.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, my system specs are:

Model: ipower g3710 (Packard Bell)
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80ghz 2.80ghz
RAM: 6.00GB
System Type 64 bit (running windows 7 home premium)
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5570
1TB hard drive space

I don't know how to boot from a CD, you will need to help me, i burned it to a normal CD-R, but if i'm booting from it doesn't it need to be a DVD-R? i have DVD-R but they are failing to write the memtest ISO to disc.

Every error i get is an application error, causing my windows 7 / windows explorer to fail..
and in the event viewer, i don't know what errors to look for there have been so many.. and they don't really say what has happened or caused it
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM

i have managed to get the memtest boot disc to work. the memtest stops at 7% and does nothing else.. what does this mean? so I selected option .3 on start up and it is scanning now. why does option .1 stop at 7%?

Last edited by nibz00; March 2nd, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

option 1 is for single core cpu's you have a quad (4) core cpu.

let us know if the test/s pass or fail.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM

oh okay, well the test passed with no errors. what would you suggest I do now?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM

also these are some if the errors on it's last crash: Event 41 Kernel-power- the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. this error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

event 10110, driverframeworks-usermode- a problem has occurrd with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. this may temporarily interrupt your ability to accsess the devices.

event 9020 desktop window manager - the desktop window has encountered a fatal error (0x8007000e)

event 27 e1kexpress - Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabyte Network Connection network link connection has been disconnected.

there are loads, but they are from the last hour.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

Are all your hardware drivers up to date?

Try reinstalling the video drivers.
Download and install DriverSweeper
Uninstall your video drivers using the add/remove programs in control panel
Reboot the pc into safe-mode
Run driversweeper to remove any traces of the video drivers. (be carefull not to remove other drivers since it can remove sound and mouse drivers too)
Reboot into normal mode and reinstall the latest video drivers from AMD. (If the hardware wizard pops up just cancel it. and use the installer that comes with the drivers).
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

Are these your system specs Other than the video card and less ram?

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Acer FMP55
Processor: Intel Core i7 860 2.80 GHz @ (8 MB SmartCache)
RAM: 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Hard Disk: 2.5 TB (1.5 TB Seagate SATA 3Gb / s 7200RPM + @ 1.0 TB Western Digital SATA 3Gb / s @ 7,200 RPM)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 with 1792MB total memory
Sound Card: Realtek High defenition Audio 5.1
Optical Drive 1: Hitachi-LG DVD Writer HL-DT-ST GH41N
Optical Drive 2: Blu-ray / HD-DVD burner Dell 6E2S
LAN: Intel 82578DC Gigabit
Wireless Networking: 802.11n Lite-on
I / O Ports: 8x USB, 2x eSATA, 1x IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
Power Supply: 750W
Other: Memory card reader, 2 front enclosures for SATA HDD
Supplied Accessories: Keyboard PS / 2 USB Optical Mouse
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM

yeah they pretty much are my specs, I don't know what my hard drive is called, how do I find out? it's a Packard Bell ipower X3.0, and the product model is: PTU51
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM

I have just run the driversweeper, re installed the drivers from AMD, now what do I do? wait and see what happens? or do you have any more ideas?
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yes wait and see if the problems you had continue. If they don't the problem was a bad video driver install. If they do continue, we'll try a Clean boot to determine if it's another program causing the issues.