Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
User profile service failed the log on.

Hello, sorry to bring up an old thread. I found this thread using the search option.
I’ve been having this similar problem with my wife’s desktop, with a few differences;
(1) I don’t have a restore point on my list of choices that is far enough back. I deleted some old files in the computer before I realized there was an issue.
(2) When I try to create another account or activate the guest account
(a) the new accounts will not log on and an error message of “user profile service failed the log on ”
(b) When I look for the new accounts under C:/computer/users the accounts are not on the list.

So, if I can’t create another account, I’m unable to move the files and delete the problem account.
Thought, ideas or options?
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Try running the Fix it on this MS page NASFD35.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM

I tired that fix, then restarted to computer. No luck
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

Is your wife's account the only Admin Account? If not, try logging on to another and follow the instructions in Method 2 in the link I posted earlier.

If it is, you may have to backup the data and reinstall Vista but you can try logging on the the dedicated Admin account and follow the instructions in Method 2 from there.

To activate the hidden Admin account, open an elevated command prompt (click on the Start button and type cmd.exe in the Search box. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator"). Copy and past the below command after the prompt and hit Enter.

net user Administrator /active:yes

You should get a message saying "The command completed successfully".

Try logging off now, you should see the Admin Account.

To hide it again, open an elevated command prompt again, copy and paste the below command and hit Enter.

net user Administrator /active:no

Reboot and it should be gone.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM

My wife’s account is not the Admin, my account is. When I create another account using my Admin and the hidden Admin, I get the same “profile failed to log on” message. So even if I did delete her account I wouldn’t be able to create another one……

Will reinstalling Vista erase files saved to the computer? I assume backing up my data to an external hard drive would be sufficient, right?

I don’t have a dedicated Windows Vista disk; I have the boot disks that came with the computer. Will these work?

Last edited by NASFD35; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

You dont have any choice other than to reinstall Vista if your profile has corrupted and you cant create new ones.

Quote:
Will reinstalling Vista erase files saved to the computer? I assume backing up my data to an external hard drive would be sufficient, right?
Yes it will but backing up to an external drive will be fine.

Quote:
I don’t have a dedicated Windows Vista disk; I have the boot disks that came with the computer. Will these work?
I dont know. What make and model computer do you have?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:56 AM

The computer is a
Emachine ET1161-05
AMD Athlon Processor LE-1620 2.40GHz
2 GB RAM
32 bit Operating system

I backed up all of my data with a Maxtor external hard drive.

Before I re-install Vista, I have one more question. While doing some research about this issue I came across a page that is offering a windows recovery download. Is this what I’m looking for?

Last edited by NASFD35; January 3rd, 2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

No, that disk will not reinstall Vista. You should have been provided with a Recovery Disk when you purchased your computer. Check your documentation. If not, you can purchase a Recovery Disk here.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM

The system had me create a boot disk when we first started the system. I stll have them and I hope they're the correct disks.
Once I have the recovery disk, what would be my next step?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

I have never worked on an eMachines computer (if they are sold in NZ, they dont have a very big market share) however you can try the steps here.