Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
PCI Slots Not Working After Installing New GPU

Hey guys. Got a new EVGA GTX 465 for Xmas, installed it pretty flawlessly (or so I thought) and let out a sigh of relief thinking "Wow, this is the first time I've ever installed something in my computer without something going wrong." I guess I completely jynxed it or something, because sure enough, here I am again.

Here's a quick summary... I uninstalled my old Nvidia drivers, turned my computer off, popped out my old card, and put my new one in the same slot. I turned the computer back on, and the first thing that was odd was that my mouse wasn't working. Plugged it into a different port and it worked fine, so I thought nothing of it. Then I went through driver installation etc, and when I finally got settled, I had no internet. "Diagnose and Repair" told me that it wasn't finding any device, and then it kinda struck me...

My internet connects to my router downstairs using a wireless DLink card, plugged into a PCI slot. When my mouse wasn't working before, it was plugged into a USB port that was powered by a PCI adapter...

Putting 2 and 2 together here, it seems that somehow this new beast of a card has done something to my other two PCI devices. Device manager is detecting a wireless adapter, however it has next to it.

Any help?
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I actually realized that my Dlink card (DWL-6510) is receiving power but is NOT detected in Device Manager.
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM

When you uninstalled the nvidia drivers for the graphics card, you have to be careful you do not unintentionally uninstall any motherboard drivers as well. If your motherboard has nvidia chipsets, you may have inadvertently uninstalled your Ethernet and pci bus drivers.

You might have to reinstall your chipset drivers from your motherboard disk. If your PC is OEM (HP, Dell or Gateway etc.) you will not have a motherboard disk and will have to get the drivers from the manufacturers site for your specific model.
Old December 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Thank you for the reply, however it did not work. I reinstalled the chipset drivers, which I believe are Intel. I restarted, no luck, restarted again and changed "PnP Settings" to Let Operating System Configure rather than the default Let BIOS Configure but it did nothing aswell.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I don't know why I didn't post this before, but my PC is a custom build. My motherboard is 2 months old, and is an EVGA P55 SLI. I actually bought an EVGA GPU to avoid any conflicts, but obviously that did not work haha.
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Bump. I still have no internet
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:31 AM

Try power cycling your router and/or ethernet switch router combo (some are combined into one). Turn them off and then turn off your PC and leave it off for at least 30 seconds and restart. Wait until all things have stopped loading before you power on your router or router modem combo. Let them finish starting so no lights are flashing, then just to be sure, go to the Run Box and type CMD and hit enter. At the prompt type (without the quotes) "ipconfig /flushdns" then at the next prompt type "ipconfig /renew". Note there is a space between the command ipconfig and the switch /. Cross your fingers and go online.
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the help Appzalien! I was able to fix the problem before trying your idea though. I actually figured out that the new card recommends a minimum of a 550W PSU, and I only have a 500W PSU, so I don't think my PCI slots were getting sufficient power.

I ended up just swapping slots until eventually somehow it all ended up working perfectly.

Thanks a ton!
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:20 PM

If you can afford it, buy a new supply (at least a 750watt) and keep your older 500 for testing and troubleshooting.